SOMEC Lugo di Romagna with Campagnolo Record

devs1980

Dirt Disciple
Hi all,
This is my period-incorrect build. Bought a SOMEC Lugo Di Romagna frame, 59cm, off of LFGSS, some bits from here, some from the bay. I think the frame is from about 1986 and although there was no tubing sticker, the 27.2mm seat tube and rifling that can be felt through the BB suggests Columbus SLX? The idea was to go for something unique, combining some of my favorite components with a beautiful frame. Put them all together and came up with this:

8651285049_03c7808677_b.jpg

Frame / Size / Year:
SOMEC Lugo Di Romagna, 59cm, 1986
Handlebars / Stem:
Soma Highway One, Cinelli Grammo titanium
Fork / Headset:
SOMEC, Campagnolo Record
Front Wheel / Hub / Rim / Tire:
Campagnolo Zonda, Veloflex
Rear Wheel / Hub / Rim / Tire:
Campagnolo Zonda, Veloflex
Crankset / Bottom Bracket:
Campagnolo Record, Campagnolo Record
Saddle / Seat Post:
Selle Italia Flite, Campagnolo aero (Athena?)
Pedals / Chain:
Look Keo Classic, Shimano 105
Shifters / Derailers:
Campagnolo Record 10, Campagnolo Record
Brakes / Brake Levers:
Campagnolo Record
Gearing / Chainring / Misc.:
53-39, 11-26

That really works, unlike some 80's frames the detail of yours compliments the 90's components. You list your wheels as Zonda's, they look more like Ventos?

Arghh! Only my second proper ride and a spoke has snapped on the rear wheel. I noticed it had a small kink in it near the hub - I suspect a derailleur had collided with the spokes at some earlier point. So I'm gutted and left with a Vento rear wheel that's unusable. Any thoughts on rebuilding it? Or should I right off the wheel? Something I can't really afford to do as the whole bike has been on a tight budget really...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 1,127
Very nice build! Love your choice of components. A petty though about the rear wheel.

Internal rifling would suggest TSX instead of SLX.

Ah seen that on lfgss it IS lovely :)

I would say getting wheel fixed at local bikeshop (if you can't do it yourself/can't bribe somebody with beer) should cost less than a new wheel? If the rim etc. is still in good nick and it's just one spoke that went...

The difficulty is finding the right spokes - I believe they are straight pull Sapim CX spokes... Anyone with experience of sorting out these wheels, I'd love to hear from you

Those wheels were made for about a decade so finding a replacement spoke should not be a problem. Plus Campagnolo was always good about making replacement parts available.

I spoke to Velotech Cycling who are a stockist of Campag spares and they said Campagnolo ran out of spare spokes over 5 years ago :-(

Latest posts

Back