Joey McLoughlin’s Ex ANC Halfords Team Bike

An old Peugeot":2wdbnx3f said:
ColnagoC59":2wdbnx3f said:
An old Peugeot":2wdbnx3f said:
I've got Paul Watson's ANC-Halfords team bike, would love to restore it but it's to expensive. A great ride even if it is tatty. Did the Wiggle new Forest Spring Sportive on my replica last Saturday unfortunately the only original parts are the frame, forks, stem and handlebars.[/quote

Paul’s bike was on here some time ago as a complete bike, it’s the same version as mine. You have a rare bike. What happened to the components given it was up for sale as a complete bike?

Paul's bike is as I brought it except the tyres had to be changed as they were down to the canvas, although it didn't come with teh original wheels and block.

You could build up some wheels to match the originals, also from the photo's I've seen of it from the previous owner it had the wrong headset - a very rare bike well worth looking after it I'm only aware of mine yours and Adrian Timmis still in existance, all are the same bikes from 1987. Paul rode the TDF your bike would have been his TDF bike.

ColnagoC59":24b0nes9 said:
kettlo":24b0nes9 said:
What about some pics of Pauls bike...go on you know you want to...

There are some photo's of Paul's bike on here that the previous owner uploaded - its a nice bike

A few quick pic's taken this afternoon of the Paul Watson bike.

Attachments

• DSCF1256.JPG
    DSCF1256.JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 726
  • DSCF1257.JPG
    DSCF1257.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 726
  • DSCF1258.JPG
    DSCF1258.JPG
    34.6 KB · Views: 726
  • DSCF1260.JPG
    DSCF1260.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 726
  • DSCF1264.JPG
    DSCF1264.JPG
    21.1 KB · Views: 726
  • DSCF1266.JPG
    DSCF1266.JPG
    13.5 KB · Views: 726
  • DSCF1273.JPG
    DSCF1273.JPG
    20.4 KB · Views: 726
  • DSCF1276.JPG
    DSCF1276.JPG
    25.1 KB · Views: 726
An old Peugeot":86iuquiz said:
ColnagoC59":86iuquiz said:
kettlo":86iuquiz said:

There are some photo's of Paul's bike on here that the previous owner uploaded - its a nice bike

Attachments

• DSCF1277.JPG
    DSCF1277.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 725
An old Peugeot":zhol1tsl said:
ColnagoC59":zhol1tsl said:
kettlo":zhol1tsl said:

Yes same as mine well worth restoring as its a very very rare classic bike

I also just finished reading "wide eyed and legless" a must read all about the ANC team in the Tour de France :)

More goodies arrived this week, firstly a Campagnolo 7 speed freewheel, OK not original to the bike but I’ve wanted one since a kid. The original Sachs has been cleaned up and will be kept.

Secondly the new decals which have been made to exactly match the originals by Nick at H Lloyd Cycles, the Reynolds 753r are NOS as Nick has a large stash give the is the authorised agent for Reynolds.

I took the frame to Nick and he took copies of the decals and matched the colours so they are exact. Great service well recommended. http://www.hlloydcycles.com/page6.htm

Only thing now is for the frame to come back from being re-chromed apparently its 4 weeks off, returns of the saddle, and then I can get it built up. 6 weeks and I should be done, question is what then?

Link below to current photos

http://www.flickr.com/photos/aln1974/86 ... otostream/

3 months since the frame went to the restorers and the waiting is killing me. Fingers crossed 2 weeks and it should be back at which point I’ll upload some pics to show before and after. Recovering of the Turbo saddle has also been delayed but should be done in a week. It’s like waiting for the birth of a child, hope it’s worth it??

Over the weekend I received news that the frame was ready for collection, and today it arrived, after some three months away. As a very impatient person it’s been a long wait, but upon seeing it for the first time it was worth the wait amazing. A big thanks must go to Nick at H Lloyd for the bespoke decals plus some NOS 753r, plus Paul and the guy’s as Ellis Briggs, who saved the frame from the scrap heap, bear in mind the seatpost was stuck as was the bottom bracket, the corrosion was a concern but when stripped it turned out only to be minor surface. You can see in the photo’s the frame before and after, the best thing is that the paint has been matched exactly and decals installed in the exact location as the originals.

I know purists would say you should have left it as it was but it would have just rusted into a heap and it deserved a full restoration given it’s a classic bike. Now the fun begins building it up. Only thing missing is the seatpost, and as this is French diameter 753r tubing it’s not going to be a quick find.

Restored frame photos in link below, I’ll load some more up after a weekend of bolting the groupset on.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/aln1974/89 ... otostream/

Back