ADVICE PLEASE: What headset shall I buy?

saulus

GT Fan
Feedback
View
I'm about to rebuild my '95 Cannondale M900 after its respray.. It had a 1 ⅛ Ritchey Scuzzy logic headset fitted and needs to be replaced..

The considerations I have are:
Threadless ahead,
that stack height cannot be higher than the Scuzzy,
black is preferable,
Retro preferred but I don't mind if its modern so long as its subtle (not covered in logos).

What's quality, easy to look after lightweight & manages to do a decent job of keeping gunk out & grease in.
What's out there for up to £40? New/NOS or Excellent condition.

What would you put on?
Cheers!

Why not get another Scuzzy Logic?

If you are after 1 1/8", then there is a huge selection, but I guess that's part of the problem.

I'll be putting a Ritchey WCS in my Dave Lloyd and probably a Hope 1 1/8" Ahead into the Fuquay.

NeilM":2nw1cbs0 said:
Why not get another Scuzzy Logic?

If you are after 1 1/8", then there is a huge selection, but I guess that's part of the problem.

I'll be putting a Ritchey WCS in my Dave Lloyd and probably a Hope 1 1/8" Ahead into the Fuquay.

Exactly!... There is a huge selection. Thought best to tap into the wealth of experience on here.

Nothing like experience to sift the wheat from the chaff :)

I've used two Ritchey WCS, though there are two types (or where) the one with the gold/ti plated bearing cage (externally) or the cheaper OEM ones without the plating. Which is the only difference as far as I could tell.
Worked well enough for me for two or so years.
One only packed in (the gold coloured bearing version) as I left water sat in the headtube over the winter after I left the seat out while cleaning the bike and it ran in there apparently.

Can be had for £25 for the slightly cheaper version.
Don't look out of place and are subtle in design.

I'd go for a nice Nos Shimano one myself. Never been pleased with Ritchey ones, sealing is a bit naff IMHO. Shimano ones are lovely. Not sure on stack height but might be ok, what's stack on your current one?

Rob Atkin":17m0d6ke said:
I'd go for a nice Nos Shimano one myself. Never been pleased with Ritchey ones, sealing is a bit naff IMHO. Shimano ones are lovely. Not sure on stack height but might be ok, what's stack on your current one?

Threadless...

.. unless he wants to use a M:part A:Daptor

If you hunt around and don't mind second hand, £40 should net you a half decent earlier hope model (with the more discreet logos) .You could even snag a King headset with a little luck - for that money it might be a little cosmetically challenged but otherwise fine if the bearings are good.

Both are ace and way better quality overall than a scuzzy logic - the only flaw may be stack height, the ritchey looks a bit shallow, especially the lower race...

Rob Atkin":k7bn3n4o said:

Tis threadless and combined height of 26.5mm, comprising of upper race : 17mm and lower race 9.5mm, Ive left the crown race out the measuring btw, that make any diff?

I've been warned off Ritchey Scuzzy's due to poor sealing quality too, by an experienced bike mechanic friend. Although I think they really are visually, very suited to Cannondales. I don't know how long the current one was on there but the lower race is pretty rough now.

mynchiboy":k7bn3n4o said:
If you hunt around and don't mind second hand, £40 should net you a half decent earlier hope model (with the more discreet logos) .You could even snag a King headset
with a little luck - for that money it might be a little cosmetically challenged but otherwise fine if the bearings are good.

Both are ace and way better quality overall than a scuzzy logic - the only flaw may be stack height, the ritchey looks a bit shallow, especially the lower race...

I'm definitely interested in an older Hope or Chris King if stack height permits. I am on the absolute limit with the forks' steerer as it is and they're staying with the frame.

How do I ascertain stack heights for older Hope or CK?, can anyone help?

I need one asap :facepalm:

Cheers for info chaps.

Back