BMBO - Competative-ish Orienteering on a Bike

FluffyChicken

Archivist
Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
bmbo_logo.jpg

As some may know, I am going to try and do some MTBO's in 2013.
MounTain Bike Orienteering as it's called and I've never done them
Tried to do one a week or so ago but I was still in bed :oops: when I should have been driving there.

Unfortunately there are none organised in this area as far as I know. I've not looked to hard and can only go on names of places I recognise.

But thought I'd list some here in the region or close

There are MTBO and MBO both are the same thing except MTBO you follow a set course. MBO you get as many controls in whatever order you like in a set time

Main calendar is here
http://www.bmbo.org.uk/calendar/

Two I think are more 'social' version and you go looking for names and things on signs etc.. Rather than use transponder tagging gadgets

SAT 26TH JAN SMITHS ARMS, BECKWITHSHAW, HARROGATE GR267532
SAT 16TH FEB MALT SHOVEL, HOVINGHAM GR667757

http://www.bmbo.org.uk/calendar/details ... ent_id=363
I'll probably target the Hovingham one.

Longer riding event
23rd March, Pocklington (NYMBO)
http://www.bmbo.org.uk/calendar/details ... ent_id=384

Looks interesting Ben, there is quite a few events near where I work in Huddersfield, how good are you at map reading, would it take me long to get the hang of it ?

slmracing":1hm4vl9k said:
Looks interesting Ben, there is quite a few events near where I work in Huddersfield, how good are you at map reading, would it take me long to get the hang of it ?

Map reading is not to hard, though I've had many years and good to learn. I know you can do it in pairs as well.

If it's using the Orienteering symbols and maps it'll be harder but more detailed, but then they've changed them since I properly raced (on foot).

But i'll be doing it for fun if I managed to get to one. Good exercise and get to wonder around different parts looking for things.

Well actually managed to get to one.

Just done Cropton.
all I can say is I'm fooked, my legs have gone to heaven!

I was on the Fusion, I would have been much quicker on the Altitude of course ;)

It was mainly fire roads and tracks with a bit of road thrown in. Though I tried to take shortcuts (which took the same or longer, but much more fun :D).
One being wet and boggy, another clambering down the side of a wood.
Nothing technical and the map reading was pretty easy (I prefer needing to actually map read and some technical trail)

I almost certainly came last as I got carried away with the riding and incurred plenty of penalty :LOL:

This is the blank map.
We started at spiers and used all of it (or at least I road pretty much all of it)
down to the south-west corner over the road from the two little woods to the west (we've ridden this at one point, with that damn hill over the river!) then skirting the north borders to the far east then down the forrest drive by the railway (bad choice!) and back 'up' under the red large out of bounds section in the south-east up the new moors to coast route (damn damn steep, would be fun going down) and headed back as best the routes could be done.

Back