29ers are the darkside but . . .

(Just to explain the high front end on the street bike..... my back is pretty much shagged from years of racing, I'm more for comfort than speed, my ever expanding waist line is testament to that!)...

Need to see the Demon, LOVE those frames!

you do realise Lee that i'm gonna be broke this year because of you and your bike. :facepalm:

when i saw it when you were building it i liked the idea,

about 2 months ago i had put down a deposit on a Demon road frame, the idea was to swap all the record 10 speed on to it from my Condor, the idea being that i only had to buy a frame, then with the sale of the Condor frame etc i had have some money towards the Demon.

then a few weeks ago i was in the garage looking up at my road bikes, Condor with record, Orange D2 with record, Cougar with veloce, Cougar TT bike, and my Lime Crosswork, 4 road bikes and a cross bike that don't get used very often by comparison with any of my mountain bikes. why? because i am a mountain biker, not a roadie. i have excepted this, it wasn't hard ;) but i do blast about into southampton, use cycle tracks etc and i take the MTB because getting on the road bike means suiting up in lycra, avoiding the cycles tracks because they are too rough etc, so the mtb is slow in these situations but the road bike isn't tough enough, the cross bike copes well but i don't want the drop bar.

i started thinking why have i ordered another road bike, it was because i wanted it, 'want' not 'need', i don't race anymore except for fun events like mayhem etc, i would never not have a road bike and i have no intention of selling the road bikes i have, maybe the cross bike but defo not the road bikes, so this set me thinking, which brought me to this thread about 29ers/700c bikes.

i was popping over to see Tom because he still had the MTB from having it at the Bespoked show, we had a chat and just the same as when we talked about the Mtb build we were on the same track thought wise.

i said stuff the road build lets think about something different, immediately Tom was happy at the thought, Genre busting is what he called it, i'm not sure if that's the case but i think it is building something that sort of stopped being built several years ago. the jack of all trades? there are plenty out there as listed in the this thread but for me there are reasons why each don't float my boat.

surly, like them, but they have too many possibilities, single speed, hub geared, normal mechs? this frame can do it all, brilliant you might say but all those extra frame add ons that won't get used depending on which gear system you use

cotic, disc or v, we can do both, again useful but messy, one or the other please

and this is my point, they all have options, too many options for me, i want specifics.

so, frame wise, somewhere between 29er/cross bike, flat or riser bar, sporty position, decided to stick with normal gears, mainly because i want to build the bike from components i already have. i/we haven't talked about brakes yet, not sure what route to take there, disc/V/magura/canti?

it's all early stages yet :)

jonnyboy666":4ewy90oi said:
you do realise Lee that i'm gonna be broke this year because of you and your bike. :facepalm:

Ah, I'd better keep the new bespoke All-Mountain full suspension FTW frame quiet then.....!!! ;)

That's pretty much the same as what brought on the street bike of mine..... I wanted something that emulated the riding characteristics of a good mountain bike frame but for the streets. I don't like road frames, have never got on with them and the Spooky Supertouch frame I got, even though it was a 'small' was just too big, I've inherited my dad's stubby legs. So threw all these ideas and various geometry guesses over the pond to Frank and he worked on that frame of mine. It goes like the clappers and ticks all of the boxes, rides like a mountain bike, can chuck it down the steps with no problems, very lively.... love it to bits.

This is where I think your Demon will be heading.

yeah, a full on street bruiser, fast, agile, strong. :cool:

also clearance for tyres up to 42mm i think but generally around 35

Nice idea, a full suspension street bike. Drop bars or regular ones?
I've been thinking along those lines too, which is why I've put slicks on a FS MTB.

Thinking about a FS proper road bike though, skinny tyres and drop bars and all that. Just need to find a good and skinny fork because a Reba is too wide.

Back