Poor cable routing, should I go canti?

slow_matt

Old School Hero
Hi,

I'm after some advice and or parts.

Right hand side cable routing and a v-brake is meaning mushy lever (tried different flexi and 135o degree noodles)

Any ideas or should I just go cantilever or go Paul v-brake (so I can flip the noodle) if so can someone save me from the hideous cost of Paul lever and v.

I've got a Hope disc to go on the front and the M950s can go on my wife's Klein.

Thanks

Matt

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 495
Are you sure the lever you have is a v lever? using canti brake levers on v brakes will always give mush

99% certain they are and the front brake feels perfect.

Edit: I know the bike is a crazy bastard mix of era's however it fits like a glove, it's light and changes gear perfectly :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 476
Agree with above. I've had a similar routing issue before, but never gone in from of the seat post. What you need to do is go he more tradition route with the outer, but have the brake noodle more upright compared to the brake, and perhaps give it a bend as well so that it accepts the outer better. You shouldn't har any problems really, certainly not spongy brakes.

I say all the above as that's what I've done. For no other reason but cleaner lines, I'm getting some avid ultimate v brakes, but have done what you have suggests with the Paul's on my DBR build and it works a treat!

cce":qfy7hw4f said:
that routing shouldn't cause sponginess.

agreed. seems like a fairly typical routing for a v-brake on a retro frame, perhaps the frame was originally designed with canti-brakes in mind but that little wiggle around the seatpost shouldn't cause any issues really, if you were using a full run of outer cable then I could maybe understand it, but you're not.. so...

are the ends of the outer cable clean/filed smooth/not interfering with the action of the inner?

have you tried fitting the same V-brakes and lever to the front to see how that feels by comparison?

don't confuse "modulation" with "sponginess".

There's a little red flat 'noodle' in those levers allowing you to run both canti and v-brakes according to its position, have a fettle.

Thanks, just seems full of friction, greasing it helped a bit.

I think maybe a cantilever is the way, really pleased to know that the ESP lever can be run for canti's though!

Anyone know of some funky canti's kicking about?

Cheers

What on earth are you doing running V brakes on a frame with canti stops?

You know what you need to do.

;)

Back