Teaching disabled kids to ride

slightly off topic but weve got a few learners at college with similar issues, ive looked into cycling enrichment activities so anything that helps, websites etc would be ace, although the learners here are mostly 16+

and its a bloody good excuse to ride a bike around the local fields with people who would really appreciate it and have fun

voodoo-kid":2fwkeaiz said:
@Fluffy Chicken
No rush...so true. Yours got Downs too or something else? If you don't mind me asking that is.
youngest is 5 and has Cerebral Palsey/quadraplegic though mainly lower trunk and legs. doesn't mean much by the name as each case is different. So completely different situation.
I don't know too much about Downs other than who we meet but most seem to have full body function ? hence just keep on with the balance bike...
like I said my 'normal' son didn't ride till 7.

one thing I've learned is expect nothing and things happen when/if they happen. and find people in a similar situation.

Bristol,from your location, seems to have quite a strong cycling setup... the regular jumble, cycle recycling.. might be worth popping to them see what contacts they have with groups.

Yeah cerebral palsy is a completely ball game. Little 'un has full body function but iffy coordination and is slower to pick things up. We'll keep persevering. She's relatively bright so maybe she'll get it. Good tips all round. Thanks.

Downs shouldn't stop her riding a bike, she'll probably just take longer to get it right but if not once she's a little bigger keep your eye on ebay for antique/retro trikes aimed at kids one should pop up at a sensible price. Best of luck

How about one of these if she is failing with balance but wants to get out on the balance bike http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kidzmotion-Oo ... 564b641376

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Have you though about going down the occupational therapist/physiotherapist route for advice. As I work in a special school they're the first port of call for anything positional and physical? The OTs at your daughter's school might be able to offer suggestions.

as a former road safety officer/cycling profficiency teacher may i suggest phoning up your local council and get them to arrange a visit by an rso in your area to discuss what options there are...here in norfolk the schemes are free so no strain on the wallet.they do sessions at schools as wll as primary and nursaries too.

Thanks guys. I'd not thought about contacting the physio, occupational therapist or our local road safety team. Great ideas. I'll sit on these for now as I don't want to unnecessarily overburden the system. I'll try a home for a bit longer first and seek professional help later if it looks like she's not getting it. I dug the balance bike for her yesterday for the first time this year. Her eyes lit up. It was great. She played on it for a few minutes but got tired and fed-up so we had to stop. Small steps though...
Oh and that wooden trike looks awesome.

Doubt your OT or Physio will help much other than have the possibility knowing or having a look of who to ask and talk to.

Never worry about over burdening them, keep ringing it's the only way anything gets done.
finding the charities if any are setup in your area is the best way. Especially specific Downs targeted or try your local Downs special school (or mixed special school) for ideas.

oh and have you tried the first port of call googling teaching down's syndrome to ride

Can't believe I've only just found this thread!
My eldest son has Down's syndrome, and unfortunately he can't ride a bike. Or doesn't want to!
He's 14 now.

We tried many times with bikes, trikes, stabilizers etc., the only thing which worked for him was a 4-wheeled thing, a bit like a go-kart. Very heavy though. He soon lost interest.
I was convinced that a recumbent such as a KMX would be good but he showed no interest at all.

greenstiles":2lk3jzug said:
I think it may just be down to being extra patient and allowing a lot more time. An ex customer of ours son has downs but once he got to grips with a bike of his own and balance etc, just rode and rode and rode......with a riding partner to add safety when needed.

That's impressive and very encouraging, as I don't know any kids with Down's who can ride a conventional 2-wheeler. Plenty ride trikes etc.. though. Even with Down's, the spectrum of disability is very wide, and there can be physical issues such as poor muscle tone, trouble with fine motor skills, etc..etc...

As you will know already, the attribute any parent of a child with Down's needs most is patience!! I think parents of disabled kids should be given medals, let alone benefits!

Please keep us posted on your little girl's progess!

Cheers,
Andrew

Back