Snap, Crack and Drop!

Oh yeah it happened to me only once...when I had 10 mins before seen a naked man running through the woods! I wrote the full story down once on here for a story of the season. Check it out here if you want all the gory details!

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=228216

Doug

When I was much younger I went with my Dad and picked up my christmas present, a 89 saracen trekker. Waited a month until Christmas day to be allowed to use it, 2 mins into Christmas day, never been so excited in my life, chain broke (was a second hand bike). Beyond gutted, especially as it took a week to get back to the shop to get a new chain!

no snapped a chain but managed to separate the crank from the chainrings (was nasty 2 peice c/set) - was climbing a steep hill when it happened, then found my self on the tarmac wondering what happened....

I had never ever snapped a chain until a couple of years ago, since then I have done 2!

Each time it was a Sram chain and it snapped at the quick-link thingy, either I'd not fitted it right or... I dunno... it's not happened for some time now though, but I always carry a small chain tool just in case.

Last time it happened both feet came unclipped and I had to slow the bike down with a comedy run/waddle (my mates said it looked hilarious :roll: ), the only damage was a bruised "gooch" from where I landed on the top-tube...

vintage_bicycle_01.jpg

Yep a couple of times, I always have it in the back of my mind when I'm stood up heaving that I may have to catch myself if one goes. I saw my best mate snap one mid sprint as well, he went straight over the handle bars and I thought he snapped his spine as he landed back first onto an eight inch high kerb, luckily he was ok.

gtRTSdh":1pu90gjj said:
I always have it in the back of my mind when I'm stood up heaving that I may have to catch myself if one goes.

Not sure how that relates to the topic!

jimo746":18wgarqa said:
gtRTSdh":18wgarqa said:
I always have it in the back of my mind when I'm stood up heaving that I may have to catch myself if one goes.

Not sure how that relates to the topic!

I think it relates to at least three topics that I can think of.

Snapped a couple in my time. Also had one go whilst 'big ringing' it on a bumpy descent, a rock flew up from the front wheel, hit the chain on the chainring and popped it open, that was fun.

This week, I've had to replace the chain on my road bike as two links were bent... 10 speed junk!

The only ones I ever snapped were shimano ones. Always replaced with Sachs chains BITD (now Sram).

I have avoided Shimano chains since, always running Sram or KMC

Back