1997 Nuke Proof Reactor hardtail

Re: 1997 Nukeprof Reactor hardtail

Mr.Toad":2cgsglh8 said:
Looking AWESOME!

I agree! good work on getting the original shock rebuilt too :)

And if you want to amend the Thread title just go and "Edit" your first post, you will then be able to alter the thread title to the correct spelling of Nukeproof. ;)

FYI if you look in the background of a couple of the photos you can see the fork off of a Serotta T-Max belonging to tokoloshe. He and I will be building it up as soon as I get a 1" die to put about 2mm of additional thread on the fork. Sad state of affairs that none of our LBS in Omaha have one.

Nope, I used it as an excuse to buy more bike tools. With the number of projects that I have waiting and the fact that most are old steel I am certain it will get use. I already had a 1 1/8' setup just needed the proper project to buy the 1" die. I hadn't though of the machine shop angle I will keep it in mind if/when the need for tapping a bottom bracket presents itself. That bit of tooling is a bit too pricey for me.

The shock finally arrived! Barely any of the original pieces left and it looks brand new. Attaching some of the build photos. The XTR v's I had intended for the build fit too closely to the front fork and hit the fork legs when tightened down. Luckily I have a bunch of alternate brake choices; Cane Creek Direct Curve, Tektro 872, IRD Camfam and some Pedersen SE's. The Cane Creeks work but have almost no stopping power. They look OK but they are quite what I wanted. At this point I am thinking Pedersen or IRD. The build came together OK but the fork assembly was a pain and I now understand why they didn't make them for more than a year or so. I polished the fork pieces within an inch of their lives and took off all sharp edges but still managed to gouge the powdercoat. It should polish out OK but still makes me mad. The powder was so think it took awhile to get the bolts to thread into the upper and lower structure and the fork top actually shows about an 1/8 of an inch instead of being flush as it was too wide at the top hen flush.

Attachments

• IMG_0402.JPG
    IMG_0402.JPG
    40 KB · Views: 648
  • IMG_0404.JPG
    IMG_0404.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 647
  • IMG_0403.JPG
    IMG_0403.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 647
  • IMG_0410.JPG
    IMG_0410.JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 647
  • IMG_0414.JPG
    IMG_0414.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 648
  • IMG_0416.JPG
    IMG_0416.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 648
  • IMG_0419.JPG
    IMG_0419.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 649
  • IMG_0421.JPG
    IMG_0421.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 648
Yea, updates!

Looking good. Bars/shifters are a perfect choice.

This bike is one of the few that I would use V-brakes on, though I don't have any suggestions as to what would be best.

I've said it before and i'll say it again, I really like this bike!

I've always had a soft spot for all things Nuke Proof, and this looks amazing...

...but what a totally OTT front end for a hardtail! :cool:

Latest posts

Back