Hope Brake Disc sizes/Adapters...

jimo746

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
Question, the current Formula brakes I will be taking off my bike have 180mm disc up front and 160mm rear, I have a Hope Mono M4 to fit at the front and a Mono Mini to go on the rear...

$T2eC16Z,!)cE9s4PudT7BRcD8oZLU!~~60_58.JPG

Will these work with the current discs and adapters that I have? ie will it be a straight swap?

I only ask as I'm a newbie to Hope brakes and have noticed that their discs seem to be 183mm, 203mm etc???

btw, the Hope calipers are Post mount, and the current adapters I have are Formula IS --> Post mount.
and current front disc is a 180mm Formula one, rear is a 160mm Hope Saw disc.

Looks like the front will need a front Hope IS mount --> Postmount 183mm adapter (J) and a 183mm disc?

The current rear 160mm disc/ adapter should be ok? or will I need to get a Hope rear IS --> Postmount 160mm adapter (F) ? :?

Anyone confirm this for me?

I don't think the 183/180 is goingto make a difference, I am using Formula SAW disc with other brands : Magura and Avid with no issues.

Hmmm... maybe I'll just try the front brake on for size, see how it fits with what I have already...

So is it just the Hope caliper mounts/adapters that space the caliper out to accept their 183mm discs then?
And so a Hope caliper fitted to a Formula 180mm adapter will work with a 180mm disc? I think I get it now :) .

Why are there so many different standards/ sizes?! Formula 180mm front, Hope 183mm, and the Avids I used to have used a 185mm disc up front... Arrrgghhhh!!!!! :facepalm:

If you think its too close then stick a washer under the post mount on the caliper. One each side should be enough to raise it up that extra couple of mm.

Now that is a good idea :)

I'll have a fettle over the next day or two and see how things pan out.

I'm having the same thoughts, thinking about switching to Zee's Front and Rear, problem is their disks are 203 / 180 I currently have 200 / 185 front and rear

I think I have a 203 rotor somewhere so the front isn't a problem but the rear being a 185 5 bolt may just be so can I just space it out with washers??

boxxer":3bsymcr9 said:
the front isn't a problem but the rear being a 185 5 bolt may just be so can I just space it out with washers??

I assume it would be a suitable "bodge", at least until the correct size rotor comes along?
You'd only need 2.5mm of washers under the caliper to space it out though, right? the diameter of the disc being 5mm bigger?

bloody hell! this disc brake malarky should be dead simple but for some unknown reason it makes my head hurt :LOL: give me quadratic equations or Maxwell's theorem any day!! :facepalm:

Back