What Rocky Mountain?

mh1000

Old School Hero
Before i threw out all my very old MBUKs and brochures and stuff... sob, sniff, etc... I had a Rocky Mountain catalog from early-mid 90s, showed one of the models being ridden through mud, with scott uni-shocks fitted, does anyone know what model they were fitted to?? (if any!)

I looked through the catalogues I have and found a muddy picture of one with a shock that I cannot identify - the shock is white and has a set of world champion stripes on it...the frame is an Altitude...I'll try to scan the picture and post it.

I think I have it here from the 1993 RMB catalogue...if you'd like a higher res version of this scan, pm me, it's a 4.5MB file. The bike frame in the photo is actually a 1992 Altitude. This would not have been a stock set-up, I'm reckoning. The stock version came with the Syncros version of the Switchblades. I think Rocky only ever specced Rock Shox and Marzocchi for suspension forks.

I checked out a couple of details. Seems that Ruthie Mathes won the 1991 MTB World Champ title on the Scott Unishock, hence the probable reason for the stripes on the one in the photo.

There was a recall of the Scott Unishock as well, although not the ones with the white fork legs.

Attachments

• rmbscott2.jpg
    rmbscott2.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 1,505
Hi!

Rocky Mountain did have a bike here in the UK with Scott Unishocks, it had a Suntour Microdrive groupset too, can't remember the name but it was a dark metallic green colour with black forks...they reviewed it in MBi and I have a copy somewhere......I'll try and dig it out!

Cheers
Stu

Nice one, That is exactly the pic i had in mind. Thanks. I dont know if it was a fork design that scott later bought maybe. but i guess they werent proprietry to scott bikes originally.

It is a bit odd how the pros can/will use stuff that isn't exactly sponsor approved.
The one I always think of is the Litespeed time trial bike (labelled with Trek stickers) that Lance Armstrong used in his first Tour win.

It was called the Team Comp, a 1992 half year model, I haven't got access to a scanner but there maybe someone who has a copy of MBi from July 1992 who can scan it for you!

Stu

the world cup scott was a lighter fork, a'la later rock shox models. and it think it may have had more than the shite 30mm the original fork had.

Back