Contents insurance to cover bikes?

Brass-monkey

Dirt Disciple
Hi all,

was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a home insurance policy that will include expensive (more than £500) bikes?

I'm using M&S but finding that the cost to cover my bikes is about the same to cover the rest of the contents.

Any recommendations gladly received.

Andy

I asked here a few years ago, M&S came up but I find the quotes a lot more than others, Axa underwrite, so Axa themselves seem to be almost but not quite as comprehensive as M&S policy. Might be a case of looking at offerings from other companies. I tend to add the bikes only that fanancially would be a massive loss and any i use like a quality commuter and then see what each offered policy offers. Adding loads of bikes increases risk crazy style! I had considered insuring commuter on its own for road and theft cover but it's pricey, opted for bestest lock ever instead. How does everyone else do it?

I found barclays very good, individual named bikes upto £2000 with an outbuildings limit of £10,000 total iirc. thats away from home too and still one of the cheapest quotes I got on the comparison sites!

I was with Prudential for many years but was lured away by NATWEST because they claimed specified bikes up to £3000 for a LOT less than Prudential. I checked this at least four times in branch and was reassured when the minion contacted a call centre to confirm this anount.
I am now in dispute with NATWEST over miss-selling/misrepresenting a product 'cos it only covers up to £2000!
After raising a dispute in branch in December, I am only just getting things moving in their formal complaints dept. Muppets!
£2000 is a reasonable amount and the cover is good, but I was told £3000 and changed my insurance policy on that basis. You willl need to be VERY careful if dealing with NATWEST to make sure their policy matches their cover.

Tesco.
Having just used them to claim for my bikes (3 off them) they use Wheelies (http://www.bikereplacement.co.uk/) to come up with a price.
I gave them a list of parts, on each after trying to give them over the phone (they sent a spread sheet in the end)
Proof of ownership (many pictures of me on the bike and I had detailed pictures.)
and also sending a link to my kids bike with my order code as I couldn't get a scan of the purchase details.

All in all they prices 'old bikes' knowing they were collectable and hard to replace.
As they had nothing suitable they could build and cannot supply Islabike Tesco have paid in cash without hassles.

Back