Rim cement

Just mounted 2 tubs using rim tape for the first time!
Cannot believe how simple it was,no mess no miss alignment but I do miss the glue fumes!

Another tub query -

From what i have read, seen and been advised it appears that tub tape is the easiet option (i prefer easy options) but, if i am using used tubs will i have to use glue with them? I currently have a used set of tub rims with old glue on them - i plan to remove it and sand the rims lightly and afix the secong hand tubs to them - what are the pitfalls?

I should add that i am waiting for NOS tub rims which i will probably use tub tape (after sanding lightly) but the used rims might be a different story.

All advice welcome and apologies for hijacking the post,

Richard

It depends on the condition of the surface,if there are no real lumps & bumps,re-activate the glue with a solvent & apply another coat over the top.I would only ever consider using rim tape as a get me home method.
With regard to pre stretching tubs,a mechanic told me that if it was needed the manufacturer would have done it.

cchris2lou":2y3gz72h said:
Very easy to mount a tub with the tape .

Put the tape on your rim and mount the tube on the wheels . Insert a pen between the tube and the rim and start peeling the tape , moving the pen along . Takes a few minutes to mount both set .

As i said , only time the tub came undone was in very wet conditions .

that,s the way i use to do it, but used a wooden spoon from my mum,s kitchen draw :oops:

Back