1/18" to 1" Headset converter

whayne

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Does this headset exist?

I have a orange f7 fork in 1" but want to put it on my p7 which is 1 1/8" head tube. :?:

You can get reducer spacers, but you could also get a Chris King Devolution headset. Mind you, the latter option is quite expensive.

I'm currently running these on my Proflex 856 which has a 1 1/8" headset but the Girvins are 1" so the reducer cups go in frame and the I run a Chris King Threadless 1" Headset with the forks, works well paid about £6 for the reducer cups :D

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 304
I'm sending a set over to a fella that I had fitted to a bike.

I may have an NIP one somewhere if I can find it but it didn't show up last clearout. Must be somewhere though.

dbmtb":3ava156r said:
I'm sending a set over to a fella that I had fitted to a bike.

I may have an NIP one somewhere if I can find it but it didn't show up last clearout. Must be somewhere though.

Hi,

let me know..thanks

Hi....I'm going to use the reducer cup route initially, seems the best way to do it... BUT

When I had a closer look at the front end of the Proflex Reptile i was removing some vector's from I came across option B.

The headtube is the right size for a 1" 1/8th headset, the cups are the right size for standard caged ball races to fit these cups.
Lower crown, race and cup all fit nicely....upper race sits in the cup, but there is a good old gap around the 1" steerer and the top bearing cup / caged race.
It looked "factory" to me, there was a plastic inner race, angled to match the caged ball bearings, then a split alloy collar that slid down the steerer top and fitted into the gap between steerer and inner plastic race.
On a taper with the plastic inner, the sleeve located the steerer tube and bearing cage when the top dust cover, spacer and 1" handlebar stem was fitted.
All the parts seem standard 1" and 1/18th parts, with the exception of the inner top race and split collar.....
Love to know if anyone has any spares or knows where to buy some....would be a happy bloke if I had a couple of sets of spares in the box should I need them...
jr

Back