If you ride (or race) regularly, are you CPR certified?

gdb2b":xne7f79h said:
Thanks for the responses. A second series of questions, if I may? These are intended for those who race or ride in sponsored events (fondos, organized group rides etc.).

If you race, what are your expectations (or assumptions) about the availability of life-saving medical intervention should you need it?

If you experience a medical emergency while racing/participating in an organized event, do you expect other racers/participants to come to your aid?

Do you wear or carry personal identification and emergency contact information on your person or kit?

Lastly, are there any CPR certified folks that got CPR trained/certified soley because you ride?
1. I don't trace, but in this increasingly litigious age I'd expect organisers would make at leas basic provision in order to be able to get insurance for the event.

2. I would stop for someone in trouble, and would expect and good citizen to do so. Whether they would or not is something else...

3. I always carry my warrant card, through which any EMS personnel could have my details in seconds, minutes.at the most, so I don't need to wear an SOS bracelet or specifically carry an info card in my wallet.

4. Yes, can't keep an officially current MIAS certification without a first aid qualification. I could get round it my only teaching with a suitably qualified 'safety officer', but the only 2 guys I would use for that are also MIAS accredited anyway, so it seems daft to get someone in just for that, though if teaching a large group we'd use muktipleninstructors anyway. So confusing.

gdb2b":3i9ilyir said:
If you race, what are your expectations (or assumptions) about the availability of life-saving medical intervention should you need it? - Any organised race should have insurance/liability insurance and emergency medical cover ie an ambulance parked at the event ready to respond if needed. I'd expect the same level of care as if I were walking down the street and suddenly needed medical aid.

If you experience a medical emergency while racing/participating in an organized event, do you expect other racers/participants to come to your aid? - Initially yes I would expect others to offer assistance/aid, then if needed call for trained medical personnel. If I was in a race and saw someone in need of medical assistance I would have to stop and help in whatever way I could, I'd consider it a moral obligation to do so, the race can wait, saving someones life or preventing further injury can't...

Do you wear or carry personal identification and emergency contact information on your person or kit? - No, I'd not thought about that actually, I usually just carry a mobile phone in case I need to make an emergency call. Good point!

Lastly, are there any CPR certified folks that got CPR trained/certified soley because you ride?
- I don't know of any, the vast majority of people do that kind of training through a workplace scheme, as I did. But it's a good idea for everyone to be trained in CPR & First Aid in my opinion, you never know when it might be needed.

EMT-B(NREMT), CPR, first responder, healthcare provider, blah blah blah

I wouldn't assume there was any care readily available during a race

I wouldn't expect other racers or spectators to provide care

Yes I carry ID and an emergency kit everywhere(a smaller one while riding, the main stays in the car) I go, as per my training

Back