If you ride (or race) regularly, are you CPR certified?

gdb2b

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
A question for the membership, for those that are willing to share a bit of information about themselves.

Do you race OR ride regularly (one or more times per week), particularly with other riders? If you do, are you CPR certified and do you keep you certification (and training up to date)? Do you carry a face shield in your saddle pouch? For those that are CPR certified AND keep their certification current, when registering for a race or for a ride outing/fondo, if prompted, would you be willing to identify yourself as CPR certified AND be willing to assist in an emergency should the need arise?

Why do I ask? I was on the scene during a race where a rider CA'ed about 30 miles into a 36 mile 'cross race a couple of weeks ago. An intense, deeply profound experience. The man who arrested was very, very fortunate. For me, lots of introspection and soulsearching afterwards. As contestants/racers, we all incur some risk when riding in these kinds of events. I'm looking to see what I can do to help mitigate some of my risk, and potentially be of assistance to others. Hence, I'm interested in what others are doing.

I'm FAST aid trained for work. Wouldn't willingly let someone die in front of me, but a patient only has a one in 33 likelihood of surviving once it's got to the CPR stage.

The core group was on him for 20 - 25 minutes before an AED arrived. He was extremely fortunate. I'm not sure how else to describe it. Miracle? The cosmic tumblers of fate precisely aligned and stacked the deck in favor of the downed rider. He arrested and collapsed at the gates to a cemetery no less. Had to be driven thru the graveyard to a clearing where the helicopter had landed.

The experience lead to a bit of introspection and the questions herein.

im a qualified for first aider, part parcel of working at college, i aint got my cert as its in my cpd folder and they dont issue cards anymore, but if anything ever did happen and i was able to assist in any way i would, every time.

I'm a qualified first aider for work, I volunteered for the training as opposed to a few of the people on the course who had been coerced by work as they had to have a first aider per x number of employees. I wouldn't hesitate in helping anyone out, at work or not, in fact I've used the training much more out of work than I have at it!

I would definitely recommend getting the training if offered, if it means saving someone's life what's the harm in it?

yes, im a first aider, last refresher was about 3 weeks ago.......i have used it several times in the past and would again.......following the times i have been unsuccessful i have consoled myself in the fact that at least i had a go when others were willing to drive past and turn a blind eye......human nature is essentially good, a bike ride should never get in the way...... :D

Thanks for the responses. A second series of questions, if I may? These are intended for those who race or ride in sponsored events (fondos, organized group rides etc.).

If you race, what are your expectations (or assumptions) about the availability of life-saving medical intervention should you need it?

If you experience a medical emergency while racing/participating in an organized event, do you expect other racers/participants to come to your aid?

Do you wear or carry personal identification and emergency contact information on your person or kit?

Lastly, are there any CPR certified folks that got CPR trained/certified soley because you ride?

gdb2b":1a26wrbt said:
Thanks for the responses. A second series of questions, if I may? These are intended for those who race or ride in sponsored events (fondos, organized group rides etc.).

If you race, what are your expectations (or assumptions) about the availability of life-saving medical intervention should you need it?

i expect at least the basic care of marshals etc and that they have some training or have access to a first aider, major events such as mountain mayhems 24 have a number of st johns staff and ambulances etc.

If you experience a medical emergency while racing/participating in an organized event, do you expect other racers/participants to come to your aid?

i dont expect it, but would hope they would at least stop and aid. some folk are ignorant.

Do you wear or carry personal identification and emergency contact information on your person or kit?

on big rides i do, i should locally....need to amend that.

Lastly, are there any CPR certified folks that got CPR trained/certified soley because you ride?

nope, but i was originally trained as i ran a skatepark

answers in the qoute above :facepalm:

Back