Charge splash back tyre sizes - which to choose

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I realise these aren't retro, but they are for a retro bike and are retro at heart with their lovely amber wall. Problem is, I'm not sure what size I should buy. Should I run the same front and rear, larger front, slimmer rear? I think they come in 1.8 and 2.1, so what would the more experienced tyre buyer decide?

I run 1.8 on my kona kula and my mate littlemarkie (on here) has 1.8 on his team Marin and Eldridge grade. We both rate these. The 1.8 is a good size in terms of grip, comfort and looks. The 2.1 size doesn't seem to be as popular and looks a bit chunky for my tastes.

ishaw":1ozrvcx2 said:
I realise these aren't retro, but they are for a retro bike and are retro at heart with their lovely amber wall. Problem is, I'm not sure what size I should buy. Should I run the same front and rear, larger front, slimmer rear? I think they come in 1.8 and 2.1, so what would the more experienced tyre buyer decide?

Cheers I was thinking the same thing !!!

I did also wonder about having a wider one on the front than the back as in the real old BMX days.
Though I can't recall why this was done ?

I've gone down the 2.1 route, both front and rear, for some reason and it may well be that as i'm the wrong side of 40 years old and pushing 100kg's the extra rubber gives me added comfort and security with my rides, also as most of my weekly rides are through Thetford Forest which is sandy the larger profile tyres seem to handle better.

Jussa :D

Thanks for the replies, plumped for the 1.8s. I will report back on how they work for me.

I have some 2.1's on my modern bike and they are too wide for a lot of retro's I'd say. Good tyres though!

Latest posts

Back