Small / large hub flange

• Thread starter Deleted member 24574
  • Start date
It makes the spokes shorter and so the wheel itself is stiffer with less flex

(although I could be wrong)

Cheers

Mike

Yep, That was the wisdom of the day way back when....Large flange for Track and time trials, the theory being that the wheels were more stiff with short spokes so energy transfer was better. Enhanced by tying and soldering LOL

Road wheels were small flange with longer spokes so "soaked up" the road vibration. Therefore I took part in "road racing" with small flange hubs and time trials with large flange.....OK on two different bikes.

On Kermesses I rode a "road" bike with TT wheels :)

On reflection probably total nonsense but large flange hubs do look sexy :D

Shaun

I was recently talking to an old boy racer :) He was pretty good in his day and an exceptional hill climber. He said he changed to large flange hubs because he was regularly breaking spokes with small hubs. That cured it for him, shorter spoke, stronger wheel.

I mentioned my large flange Campag Nuovo Tipo to my wife with my daughter in the room, my wife almost fell off the sofa - i still don't really undertsand the 'other' reference - perhaps it is an age thing?

Richard

Especially if it is large!!!!!!!!!!! I still think this is not in my era!!!!

Richard

You can change broken spokes a bit easier with large flange hubs as well. Well you can on track wheels anyway :)

Back