Raleigh Activator I / II appreciation thread

legrandefromage":nz2brdmz said:
I dont know why they get a mention here either but apparently people get upset if you tell them how '_____' they are and what an '____' they were for saying that they were any good.

Yet, curiously, you started this thread...

Shirley there's some middle ground between not upsetting people by saying "how '_____' they are and what an '____' they were", and actually having to create and endure an "appreciation" thread?

Chopper1192":1t00io0n said:
Read in the Telegraph that we threatened to bomb Argentina with Raleigh Activators if they invade the Falklands again.

Here's the thing - if you think the Activator is bad, you haven't seen much of what people cycle MILES on in other countries. I've personally seen many people spend their entire day on bikes that would, in comparison, make an Activator look like something the VRC crowd would stick their schmancy crank logo on.

Think this thread should be renamed the "...disapreciation thread", hardly any positive comments or "appreciation" of any kind thus far, surely all these people can't be wrong?

My 2p.... when a work colleague left he "forgot" his Activator 1 (read couldn't be bothered to cycle to the tip with it :LOL: ) and it languished in the bike sheds for ages. Being the kind hearted Retrobike soul that I am I thought I might be able to bring new life to it, but one quick ride around the car park and I quickly parked it back where I found it! You need to be a masochist to ride one of those things, I've been a cyclist for years but even I would rather walk than attempt to ride on eof those abhorrations.
It seems to have vanished now though, either someone saw scrap value in the frame and had it away, or it sank through the earths crust under it's own weight :LOL:

Neil":26dg2ie3 said:
legrandefromage":26dg2ie3 said:
I dont know why they get a mention here either but apparently people get upset if you tell them how '_____' they are and what an '____' they were for saying that they were any good.

Shirley there's some middle ground between not upsetting people by saying "how '_____' they are and what an '____' they were", and actually having to create and endure an "appreciation" thread?

Yes, yes I did - maybe to coalesce all thats fun and exciting about not owning one.

brocklanders023":fws4hp5o said:
marc two tone":fws4hp5o said:
"The Shouty Lady" [Two Tone knows who I mean].

Crickey, the woman can barely walk in a straight line, let alone handle a 'vator :LOL: The high-viz would have saved her bacon during that incident ;)

fair comment though. The activator is a part of man on street bike shop fayre, like it or not it is nailed in the history books. :shock:

Are we talking about Keighley Road Kath? Saw her today around Cononley Lane Ends, no hi viz though.

yes :LOL: No matter what time or day i drove up from keighley to s'ton, i would see her pointing and swearing at passing vehicles. generally nr mc'ds near the roundabout.

Reports from rich suggest she didn't get on with the activator either, maybe wrong colour, atleast 2 were available! silver and forrest green. Klein could learn something there.

legrandefromage":9n2nn1jb said:
Neil":9n2nn1jb said:
legrandefromage":9n2nn1jb said:

Yes, yes I did - maybe to coalesce all thats fun and exciting about not owning one.

Perhaps your life might be a bit more positive, were you try and be a bit more positive in the things you spend time on creating threads and discussion on, rather than thinly veiled sarcasm and negativity, designed to irritate or antagonise but perhaps not to the overt point of it being moderated.

marc two tone":4bl35xpn said:
brocklanders023":4bl35xpn said:
marc two tone":4bl35xpn said:
"The Shouty Lady" [Two Tone knows who I mean].

Crickey, the woman can barely walk in a straight line, let alone handle a 'vator :LOL: The high-viz would have saved her bacon during that incident ;)

fair comment though. The activator is a part of man on street bike shop fayre, like it or not it is nailed in the history books. :shock:

Are we talking about Keighley Road Kath? Saw her today around Cononley Lane Ends, no hi viz though.

yes :LOL: No matter what time or day i drove up from keighley to s'ton, i would see her pointing and swearing at passing vehicles. generally nr mc'ds near the roundabout.

Reports from rich suggest she didn't get on with the activator either, maybe wrong colour, atleast 2 were available! silver and forrest green. Klein could learn something there.

She's certainly one of a kind! If she went on the bike she'd get there and back too quickly so would have nothing to do for the rest of the day!!

I have never said the craptivator is a fantastic bike,its a shite ride and slightly heavier than the kona fire mountain (3kg)

Its what got me back into biking and bike forums

And I will be improving it just for a laugh :)

Back