GT sizing...

A pretty good condition Karakoram in tequila sunrise just appeared on eBay...18" ; ) not mine...and too small for me

philth":37iqgyci said:
A pretty good condition Karakoram in tequila sunrise just appeared on eBay...18" ; ) not mine...and too small for me

Bit pricy though, just picked up an Avalanche from the same year (better bike) for WAY less than that.

Huh. I just looked at the dimensions on the frames and the difference in top tube length is only 5cm between the 18 and 19's. I'm pretty surprised about that.

dirttorpedo":202ek3wh said:
Huh. I just looked at the dimensions on the frames and the difference in top tube length is only 5cm between the 18 and 19's. I'm pretty surprised about that.

I'm not, got several 20s and a couple of 18s top tube length is similar 20s just ride taller.

I had a 20" Zaskar (still in my shed till Rojo wants it sending) but when I mocked it up it felt HUGE even compared to my 21" Scale and 21" 456.

MADJEZ":zk75bvgq said:
dirttorpedo":zk75bvgq said:

I'm not, got several 20s and a couple of 18s top tube length is similar 20s just ride taller.

They definitely used a different approach with their road bike sizing - my Edge is quite square.

I managed to install the headset crank and seatpost/seat last night. I stuck the wheels on and the bars with the spacers I had available from my Hillside and swung my leg over the bike. Felt surprisingly good. The old roadie rule of thumb about the bar covering the front hub certainly doesn't apply. Going to get some more spacers today so I can get the bars on securly. I'll experiment with handlebar height to determine if I'm going to cut the steerer.

Just in case some of you guys might have some...I am after a set of black GT forks for an 18" Karakoram frame. Ahead only.???

mtbdave":2ka19aix said:
philth":2ka19aix said:
Great. I used to have a dark grey Avalanche Alu 20" from about the same era as your 94I remember it was the first year the RTS-1 was made (

rts was available as a frame set in 93, the serial on mine has a 92xxx in it.

oh am 6'0/6'1 and mine is a 18"

Hey, what length of stem and how much stack height or rise are you running on your 18 inch Zaskar?

SO...I have been doing some homework. An 18" GT has a 575mm top tube and around a 500mm seat tube. That is almost spot on the same lengths as a pre 2000 20" Kona. I won an 18" 1994 Karakoram frame on ebay the other day so will be interesting to see how they measure up in the flesh. :)

...now...I just need some forks...wheels...groupset.... what have I done! :facepalm:

philth":76xxxevo said:
SO...I have been doing some homework. An 18" GT has a 575mm top tube and around a 500mm seat tube. That is almost spot on the same lengths as a pre 2000 20" Kona. I won an 18" 1994 Karakoram frame on ebay the other day so will be interesting to see how they measure up in the flesh. :)

...now...I just need some forks...wheels...groupset.... what have I done! :facepalm:
:LOL:

Latest posts

Back