Helicopter Tape

TGR

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Good afternoon all,

Has anyone experience in using helicopter tape? I see there seems to be diffenent types and thicknesses - any advice. I was thinking of using this to prevent paint damage from cable outers etc and on my daughter BMX to help prevent apint damage by the usual throwing the bike down. I might consider wrapping her in it to prevent the sore knee syndrome if it works.

Thanks all,

Richard

Many £1 shops sell this stuff. Good stuff to stop chips but becareful in sticking it down,
use a credit card to make it stick or it will get many trapped air bubbles under it.

I highly recommend helicopter tape, the best piece of advice I would give is take great care removing it as it can lift paint. Even better than the credit card trick, warm it up with a hair dryer then it becomes a bit more flexy to apply, also worth doing the same to remove to decrease risk of damaging paint. I use it on all my bikes, on: the under side of the down tube, the back of the seat tube, the top of the drive side chain stay and anywhere that cables rub paint. best width to get is 25mm.

I got mine off these guys: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MATTE-Hel...=WDVW&rd=1&ih=025&category=22679&cmd=ViewItem

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Thanks for the info and link - i don't suppose you are offering a credit card too?

Richard

You can apply it the same as vinyl. Spray with soapy water first then you will be able to move it around and get it in the right position, then rub it down.

TGR":1sctensi said:
Thanks for the info and link - i don't suppose you are offering a credit card too? Richard
Richard? Shut it!! :mrgreen: When I say credit card I really mean a clubcard/discount card you get for free.

One good place for this tape is a 20mm wide x 100mm length and this is fitted to the lower section
of the seat tube were the rear wheel is closest to the tube, many a stone chip been had there.

Also a narrow strip down the outer-side of the crank arms, how many cranks do we see 'brushed' by toe-straps/over-shoes :(

I have to presume that is works and it is a good job from the comments above.

Thanks,

Richard

Back