2005 Specialized SX Trail...poll for repaint colour added

What colour should I repaint the bike?

• Baby blue

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Lime green

Votes: 10 66.7%

• Total voters
Re: 2005 Specialized SX Trail...poll for repaint colour adde

RAL code 'RAL 5012' Would look great if youve decided on Blue.

I like that 5012 colour...a lot actually.

I also like 5015 too which is similar to my old Chameleon. Hmmmm.

Had my first ride on the new wheels and tyres today and I'm very happy.

The new freehub has a much better pick up than the old one. The whole bike feels loads more nimble and spritely than it did before. The tubeless set up feels a lot more floaty. I always lowish pressures anyway do not too much change there.

The tyres are awesome, not too draggy despite their size (they're huge bearing in mind they're supposed to be a 2.35, the same as the Maxxis tyres they replaced) but grip like no mans business. I had total confidence in them when cornering and railing berms. They also dealt with the somewhat varied conditions well; Cannock went from mud to snow to slush to dust all in one ride!

So all in all I'm a very happy bunny. Just as well too because that was the most I've ever lent on wheels and tyres (still not sure if pay full price though....£830!!!).

Im looking forward to getting out down to Cannock actually, want to ride the Monkey Trail and maybe session Stile Cop for a bit, not been for about a year now... Id like to see how the Nukeproof performs on the DH sections.

Ive heard the Monkey Trail has some decent downhill bits though?

The last two sections of the Monkey are great fun and probably longer than anything at Stile Cop but without the loads of jumps. There is a fun uunofficial DH on the Dog, nowt technical or steep. There also like to be a good singletrack DH run next to one of the sections on the Dog, it's a bit of a push but could be fun.

I've just posted on your thread to say if you want someone to ride with, give me a shout because I'm up there most weekends.

Time for another pic heavy update unfortunately...

I bought a cheapy Reverb from Wiggle the other week and got it installed before my skills day with Ed Oxley yesterday and a day in the Peaks today. Having been sceptical about dropper posts, I've got to say that I'm a total convert...they make life so easy. I used to spend a huge amount of time faffing with the height of my post because I hate riding anything fun with my saddle up high.

The post worked well straight out of he box, despite having to top the air up. Due the way I routed the hose, there was no need to cut the horror bleed the post. I bought a right hand lever so I could run it under the bars on the left side of my bars so its safe.

Here are the pics...

8295a1b6fb8e982153ee27a6404871f0_zps9696b5a6.jpg

1ae79a91d1a77eed931f38fb154a64c3_zpsd4e26ec1.jpg

15e265ec8db563e8b667b594a4deb97d_zpse5961a39.jpg

0289d13bc2ba1f66261edcd5fcb3f9f5_zps94759fa8.jpg

795d2f3d648afef3e750183160a2f3b1_zpsc02cb060.jpg

afa7669a9d34046004431af54d59231a_zpscbf58418.jpg

And some taken when mucking about with the filters on my phone...

cf6bbbdda734d8a7f6c652b7011e3ad8_zps4bba5c49.jpg

5a5fb79575b36be41a14e8a38ddf4fcf_zpsffcecb73.jpg

30bbffcc2e6e1603f889280427fd3283_zpsebfff246.jpg

e849e19bce505c869014b35a6ef4528a_zps6479f58d.jpg

Th bike rode pretty well yesterday. I really enjoyed Hebden Bridge; the riding was great and so was the coaching from Ed. I genuinely felt faster at the end of the day and all it took was some simple tweaks. What I did notice at the end of the day was that my rear shock seemed to be sitting very deep into its travel.

It wasn't until this morning that I realised the shock was leaking oil from just behind the pro pedal adjuster. I guess after the hammering yesterday and over the last year it just needs some TLC, so it'll be getting shipped off with the forks this week for a service.

Only other change in the pipeline is a clutch rear mech... I noticed yesterday that the mech was slapping about a lot in the really rough stuff. CRC are due some in soon and will be jobbing them out cheap.

Ah so you been ooop North, my mates been talking about having a trails session with that chap, was meant to be soon too but he had a spill derailing plans! Was it worthwhile, plenty to learn? Hard going keeping up or anything? Uppy downy post looks and sounds good, gotta be a ideal on the trails. Bad luck with the shock, more Bfe time till the bits come back!

The post is great, still getting used to the saddle though because its a bit wider than I'm used to.

Ed's courses are really good. I did the Alpine Prep one in Hebden. The group were good too, some better and faster than others but all reasonably experienced riders. The day was really informal so it felt like you were sessioning the trails with your mates. He seems to be able to break down the concept of certain things into really small, manageable chunks and explains it without taking to you like you're a child.

I think he works out pretty quickly what the groups level is and then tailors the ride / coaching to suit. The bit that I really liked was that we'd do something on one bit of the trail, then we'd move on and do it on a different bit of trail that may incorporate so etching from earlier too. Not only is he a good coach and a top chap, but he's pretty handy on a bike too.

My cornering yesterday was loads better, which was one part of my riding that I really struggled with. Another simple change was to get my elbows out more.

I'd definitely recommend one of his courses. He does some at Guisburn too.

Those reverb posts are fantastic aren't they pal! Been out on mine again today and loved it! It's a good job my hardtail is 27.2 or I'd be buying another! Lol

Back