My Seiko watches (largely, plus a few others thrown in...)

Neil

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
My (largely) Seiko watches...

Given the other thread about Seiko divers, I thought I'd post up pics of mine - heavily dominated by Kinetics, truth be told...

My SKA373P1 (5m62 movement):-

7212285726_cd1e8b2e58.jpg

My SKH559P1 (at least that's the case code I think matches...) (5M42 movement):-

7212285856_4de3ce5e24.jpg

I've replaced the capacitor with the new Li-ion cell.

My SKH565P1 (it's either that or an SKH565P3) (5M42 movement):-

7212285972_b4f7434cd7.jpg

First Kinetic I bought - I've replace the capacitor with a Li-ion cell, but now the generator mechanism has ground to a halt, so I need to strip that down and replace that bit - when I ever get time.

I've got the blue version, too (on the right) - not sure what the case code for that one is:-

8578016473_865e345700.jpg

It needs the capacitor replacing (I've bought one, it's time I'm lacking...), and a thoroughly good clean and spruce up.

My Seiko 5, and Orange Solar divers:-

8579119084_632a353a02.jpg

My Seiko Kinetic induction charger (YT02A):-

8579118866_0af00def9a.jpg

I bought it some years back from AG Thomas, they seem to sell for HFM these days, but I'm sure I didn't pay quite that much... that's memory for you, though.

Mentioned in the other thread, "NATO" style divers straps, but the Zuludiver one in the plastic bag, is just slightly thicker and feels just that bit more robust without being overly thick (I've got the "normal" version of this on my Orange Solar divers, the one on my Seiko 5 is a bit thick, really).

8579118572_a7787a8991_n.jpg

My casio Tough Solar Wavecepter (WVA-430U-1AVER):-

8579118266_57e7b12c76.jpg

My Casio Edifice (EF_534D_5AVEF):-

8578015573_65c6787f99.jpg

Re: My Seiko watches (largely, plus a few others thrown in..

Some of those Kinetic's are a bit funky :cool: . They remind me of some of the Oakley watches which I believe are powered by the same movements... I have a soft spot for Casio's as well and I could do with a G-Shock in the collection. Thanks for sharing :D

Fudd":2pqisid1 said:
Some of those Kinetic's are a bit funky :cool: . They remind me of some of the Oakley watches which I believe are powered by the same movements... I have a soft spot for Casio's as well and I could do with a G-Shock in the collection. Thanks for sharing :D
Just to be clear, the Casio isn't technically a G-Shock, it's solar powered and radio controlled though. It's my scruffy watch, in that it's the watch I care least about getting scuffed. It's weakness is it can only use the UK and German time signal - which I've found is largely OK for a fair amount of europe, but it gets nothing in the far east. I think I may well splurge, at some point, for a true G-Shock, multiband 6 solar - there's just something about the idea of something that gets energy from light, and syncs time via radio waves, that seems kind of ideal to me.

Have to say, I quite like some of the Edifice models, too - that one was a gift, something of a suprise, they do feel different to other Casios, somehow - very nicely made and finished, almost remind me of Seikos - I guess they were doing that whole Toyota / Lexus thing with the branding.

The triangular shaped Seiko is a little reminiscent of the triangular Hamilton watches. It's quite a big chunky watch, that - not subtle at all, but I do like the styling of it - I suspect it's one of those watches you either like the look of, or not. Some of me wishes I'd bought the blue-faced one, and at other times I'm glad I got it in that colour-scheme. For some odd reason I had something of a thing for Kinetics for a while, I even bought 'er indoors one (and yes, that needs the capacitor replacing, too - I've got a new cell for it, just building up the motivation to go mad on the concentration of tiny screws) - and it's probably a cooler watch than mine. I can't pretend they really make sense, though - I mean I can sort of understand the logic of a time - but all the same... some of the downsides of a mechanical auto, really based on the premise of not needing to open them up to change batteries, when many of the original capacitors failed! Still, logic be damned, I still find them appealling.

I liked the art deco look of the oblong Kinetics, but can't help but think keeping the mechanicals working, long-term, maybe more of a challenge to find parts.

The Seiko 5 is just, well - a Seiko 5, probably run forever, unless I'm truly unlucky. Accuracy could be better, and I have thought about regulating it, but when it's something of a nice-to-have as opposed to necessary, easy to talk yourself out of. Especially as one of the Kinetics is actually not running at the moment, because of it's mechanicals.

Some of those screws holding in the kinetic cells are truly tiny, aren't they - not helped by the plate they screw down being sprung. I've bought the odd spare, before now...

I've got several Rotary quartz watches, too - that are fairly classy looking - but at the end of the day, they're just quartz watches in reasonably nice cases. Don't know why, but I've always been drawn to Seikos. Were I spending a wedge on a watch, whether I'd go for the Mulder-special Omega DeVille (would have to be an auto) or a Grand Seiko, I'm not sure...

Hi .
Do you know were i can get links for wrist straps?I have one the same as the one on the right in the picture of three.It has a blue face.

bagpuss":2ohc2jkm said:
Hi .
Do you know were i can get links for wrist straps?I have one the same as the one on the right in the picture of three.It has a blue face.

Do you mean actual links for the bracelets of those type of watches, or the pins?

Although Seiko often do provide spares and for quite some time, I doubt they sell individual links, you may be able to source a new bracelet, but it probably wouldn't be cheap.

How many links are you missing - and there may be some adjustment with being able to move pins in the clasp.

Neil":1cmjitq0 said:
Were I spending a wedge on a watch, whether I'd go for the Mulder-special Omega DeVille (would have to be an auto) or a Grand Seiko, I'm not sure...

No question for me, it would be a Grand Seiko. Different class, and I have a Seamaster as my 'best' watch just now.

Wear my SK007 the most though. ;)

How long have they been using induction charging.

apache":1q3lpu6s said:
How long have they been using induction charging.

The induction charger has been available for quite a good few years, and should work with all the main Seiko Kinetic movements - the legend on the top tells you how to orientate the various movements so they charge.

I've had mine for, at a guess 5 or 6 years, but they were probably available for some years before I bought mine. They're really for jewellers, in order to keep their stock charged. I bought mine from a jeweller suppliers type place. The main advantage is being able to fully charge a kinetic without using a watch winder, and so taxing the mechanicals, and not all watch winders work, apparently, with kinetics.

I don't think they were ever truly intended for the domestic market, I suspect they probably thought that as kinetics tend to hold more available charge than the equivalent in the spring of a mechanical auto, that by and large it wouldn't be an issue. Perhaps more so when they brought out the auto relay versions.

The charger should work with old or new kinetics, doesn't need any particular development in the watch / movement.

My new / first G-Shock

Bought this a couple of days back, and did take a couple of photos with my N8, but they didn’t turn out as I'd like and with the lurgy so will be a few days 'till I'm on my feet to take some more, so a stock one will have to do:-

413VdaH2RjL._SL500_.jpg

AWG-M100-1AER

G-Shock, with Solar charging and multiband-6 (pretty much worldwide) radio time sync. I miss the second hand of my other Casio, but it's hard to argue with the robustness and features of this G-Shock for the price.

I've given my previous Casio Wave Ceptor / Tough Solar to my son - wish I'd had a watch like that at his age. The only thing I was really keen on improving was the 2 band reception of the WVA-430, as it was fine getting a time sync signal in Europe but nothing when I was in China and Hong Kong, so I'd decided that the next one I got would have to be a multiband-6 so that it could get signal in China too.

So just the G-Shock and Edifice for my own personal stash of Casios, now that mini-me number 1 has assumed control and ownership of what was my other Casio. One thing I have been pleased with, though, having atomic Casios as reference, the timekeeping on the Edifice and orange Seiko solar divers are exceptional, very slight gain, but about twice as favourable than the specs. The Kinetics are pretty good on that score, too, perhaps not far behind, really. The Seiko 5 is probably about what you'd expect from a mechanical, I think it's still around tolerances, though.

Back