Campagnolo Valentino front mech adjustment

Old Ned":21m7k2iq said:
If it's the 'matchbox' one then you move the cage, with the chain on the inner ring and on the largest rear sprocket, on the arm to it's 'inner limit' using the grub-screw type bolt and then adjust the throw, with chain on outer ring and smallest sprocket, with the top screw. This is how the original Gran Sport ones were adjusted so I see no reason why the Valentino shouldn't be the same.

As always, Old Ned is right on!

Citoyen du monde":21i7srxx said:
Old Ned":21i7srxx said:
If it's the 'matchbox' one then you move the cage, with the chain on the inner ring and on the largest rear sprocket, on the arm to it's 'inner limit' using the grub-screw type bolt and then adjust the throw, with chain on outer ring and smallest sprocket, with the top screw. This is how the original Gran Sport ones were adjusted so I see no reason why the Valentino shouldn't be the same.

As always, Old Ned is right on!

Yeh man! ;)

prehazovacka-a-presmykac-valentino-181-21.jpg

Which grub screw? The one on the top left?

No, the one securing the cage that can't be seen on this photo. It loosens the cage on its arm so that it can be slid laterally. Move it inwards until it just clears the chain on small ring/big sprocket and retighten the bolt. Then adjust the throw with the sprung screw on top of the body.

The screw head top left of the body secures the pivot for the internal arm that provides the throw.

Spokesmann":1qvcqmmm said:
That pics an early gran Sport changer?
No, it's a Valentino. Similar but the Valentino has the 'boss' around the shaft exit hole and the cage grub screw is at the front rather than the top. Also quite a few years more modern!

You see people fitting them to 50's bikes when they should have Gran Sport ones instead. Perhaps they don't know the difference.

Perhaps or perhaps the price and availability steers them to the Valentino, just for now y'know until the Gran Sport comes along for the right price....

kamakazerider":1sbu6egi said:
Hi Tel,
With regard to the 980 not coping with a low gear just had the same problem changed it for a gran sport and it copes perfectly it struck me that it was to do with the length of the gear hanger. If you get the Valentino sorted and want try a Red C Valentino rear mech to match I have a really good one going spare and I'm just up the road in Canterbury.

Dave

PM'ing you now Dave

Right the mech is all sorted just as you guys said, thanks for that.

Bikenut also supplied me with a Valentino rear so now it has a matching gearset and 1st gear can be accessed without the mech rubbing on the sprockets now too.

This is the bike that I was working on:

Back