Whats a good cheap bike trainer....

From my experience:

- If noise will be an issue make sure you get a quieter one. Some of the cheap ones can be very noisy. I had a Cyclops Mag trainer, basic but about £100, stable and quiet. I used mine in the cellar but wouldn't want to use it in the next room to anyone wtching TV for example, it would disturb them a lot.
- Prop the front wheel up to the same height as the raised rear wheel. You can buy special blocks but a book does the same job.
- Get the slickest rear tyre you can find. You'll need it.
- Get a decent sized fan - as you have no air rushing past you as you are inside you get very hot very quickly - you need cooling down.
- Rear mounted computer sensor is good if the trainer doesn't have a fancy computer. You need to keep a track on what you're doing for it to have an effect.
- Have a plan - turbos are boring so you don't want to be on them long - be scientific about it so you get the best benefit from a shorter work out.
- Get a towel - you will sweat EVERYWHERE - protect your toptube/bars from the sweat dripping on them.
- Heart rate monitor is a good idea to make your training efficient.

You don't need loads of fancy gadgets unless you're a top road rider or a pro, a computer/HRM and the turbo (and the fan maybe) is all you really need to get going.

Rob Atkin":2xhpujs2 said:
From my experience:

- If noise will be an issue make sure you get a quieter one. Some of the cheap ones can be very noisy. I had a Cyclops Mag trainer, basic but about £100, stable and quiet. I used mine in the cellar but wouldn't want to use it in the next room to anyone wtching TV for example, it would disturb them a lot.
- Prop the front wheel up to the same height as the raised rear wheel. You can buy special blocks but a book does the same job.
- Get the slickest rear tyre you can find. You'll need it.
- Get a decent sized fan - as you have no air rushing past you as you are inside you get very hot very quickly - you need cooling down.
- Rear mounted computer sensor is good if the trainer doesn't have a fancy computer. You need to keep a track on what you're doing for it to have an effect.
- Have a plan - turbos are boring so you don't want to be on them long - be scientific about it so you get the best benefit from a shorter work out.
- Get a towel - you will sweat EVERYWHERE - protect your toptube/bars from the sweat dripping on them.
- Heart rate monitor is a good idea to make your training efficient.

You don't need loads of fancy gadgets unless you're a top road rider or a pro, a computer/HRM and the turbo (and the fan maybe) is all you really need to get going.

I wish I had this tips this morning! The trainer arrived this morning. Its pretty quiet not too bad and I stuck a large chunk of wood under the front wheel to even it up. But boy did I sweat....a lot! So a fan would be a good idea...also the rear mounted computer would be good to get an idea of distance etc. Might get a slicker tyre than I used as I used a 1.95 City jet and it seemed to have a fair amount of resistance. The trainer I have has adjustable resistance via and handle bar mount, but on the scale of 1-10 I couldn't go about 5!! mainly just 3-4... :oops:

Oh and I found loud music helps...in particlar Led Zep!

Doug

cce":16ujqcdj said:
chuck a book under the front wheel otherwise you'll feel like you're going slightly downhill all the time

I used a house brick with an indent in it and "toe strapped" it to the front wheel. I bought a turbo trainer specific tyre and fitted it to a cheap wheel with a close 12-21 7 speed cassette. And a fan is essential.

xerxes":1xccrl36 said:
cce":1xccrl36 said:
chuck a book under the front wheel otherwise you'll feel like you're going slightly downhill all the time

I used a house brick with an indent in it and "toe strapped" it to the front wheel. I bought a turbo trainer specific tyre and fitted it to a cheap wheel with a close 12-21 7 speed cassette. And a fan is essential.

Again with the fan...boy did I need it was dripping from my nose, elbows, fingers.....Everywhere!

xerxes":1sxia74b said:
cce":1sxia74b said:

I used an old yellow pages at first but have upgraded to an off cut of 6" x 3" to raise the front wheel. I went for a Tacx magnetic, can't fault it.

I am not as fit as I used to be (read that as desparately out of shape) I can share the following recommendations/observations are from someone who doesn't have a decent base fitness, which may not be your situation:

Get a heart rate monitor (£10 Lloyds Pharmacy), not just for the obvious reason of seeing your heart beat, but as one of the many distraction techniques you will need to employ to get your mind of the fact your legs are on fire
Fan is essential otherwise you will think you are leaking. As I use mine indoors I put a plastic sheet under the bike that can be washed off regularly.
Doing reps are a good way to make some time pass - after 20 minutes to be fully warmed up I do 30 seconds at near max / 2.5 mins recovery, for about 6 reps. the recovery time flies by.
You need music or TV to distract you. Music needs to be the right BPM or it gets irritating when the beat doesn't match your cadence.
TV is good, bbc iplayer is perfect, I like the F1 on a sunday for a session that's longer than an hour without it feeling like time has stopped. I have stand for my lap top in front of the bike.
Always make sure you have enough hydration to hand - running out of water has sometimes been a justified reason to end the pain.
Is your stem really perfectly aligned with your front wheel?

Thanks for the tips...I like to think I'm not totally out of shape as I do ride offroad fairly regularily. Its just with the op/recovery of my wrists coming up I didn't want my fitness levels to drop off before going to Mayhem, as I wont be able to ride the usual offroad trails! Good idea with the reps. I have a few "playlists" that I already use for cycling to. Mostly Led Zep, Foo Fighters, Rage against the Machine any sort of hard aggressive rock! But then sometimes a bit of old school hard step drum and bass, or The Prodigy! Liquid refreshment is a must and a towel to dry my sweatyness off! I find music helps guage the time spent on it aswell i.e I have playlists that are 30mins, an hour etc etc...

...I think a computer on the rear will help me get a handle on the distance and speed which always keeps me going...as for a heart monitor I think that might freak me out!

Thanks again

Doug

My brother-in-law uses a turbo quite a lot - special turbo trainer tyre is a very good idea as his chewed through the tread on the rear ....

Probably going to end up turbo-ing up in e near future. Not injury, but distinct lack of time to actually get out ad ride...

Jono_blackheart":2nxxo8fn said:
My brother-in-law uses a turbo quite a lot - special turbo trainer tyre is a very good idea as his chewed through the tread on the rear ....

Probably going to end up turbo-ing up in e near future. Not injury, but distinct lack of time to actually get out ad ride...

Hmm just turbo specific tyres are like £30!

Had another blast this morning with a fan assistance...still sweated loads but was considerably better with! Got a wireless comp/speedo for £11 from Asda of all places that does a good job of telling me speed/distance etc and also how many calories burned as well!

Back