British Steel

That has got to be a pretty rare bike, if not unique.

Mind you, if were going to start allowing modern bike pictures on this thread, I'll have to think about posting this.

But as it's a bit too new, I won't.

just thought it might be of interest is all.
the frame was actually started end october 1999, so not so far off,
but wasn't completed until march '00.
didn't mean to press anyones buttons.
apologies for any upset :oops: :oops:
could be moved to post '98 section by mods
:

I'm not offended, and I practically live on this thread.

Nice to add another name to the list of British builders.

velofrog":2lggqj6p said:
this was made for me in 2000 by a guy called charlie ralph of alves framesets.
he started his little business in the wee town of alves in the north of scotland,
hence the name, but subsequently moved to elgin springs.

Cracking frame! :shock: and Alves is like a 5 minute drive along the A96 from me :D

I'll Pm you for some details as I've a bit of Retro British Steel that needs some attention.

ha! brilliant! we are a rare breed i reckon, maybe other owners will come out of the woodwork too! i wouldn't like to hazard a guess as to how many Alves frames/bikes are still out there, but as Charlie wasn't exactly prolific or speedy in his building, probably a lot fewer than there could have been! but he was a cool guy, i got to see mine being built and painted which was a real treat too!
maybe we need a dedicated 'ALVES' thread?!
cheers! :D

velofrog":24ax3f5g said:
ha! brilliant! we are a rare breed i reckon, maybe other owners will come out of the woodwork too! i wouldn't like to hazard a guess as to how many Alves frames/bikes are still out there, but as Charlie wasn't exactly prolific or speedy in his building, probably a lot fewer than there could have been! but he was a cool guy, i got to see mine being built and painted which was a real treat too!
maybe we need a dedicated 'ALVES' thread?!
cheers! :D

To be fair to him, his skills are well known, and there are several owners of them that lurk here on retro bike, and indeed on this thread too.

With this said, i really do wish more owners would post there hidden gems, its like the Swallow, why do the owners not post what they have, pictures is what we need to see.

Here is one with Campagnolo, from page 7 of this thread..... :cool:

Attachments

• AlvesPace 007w.jpg
    AlvesPace 007w.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 441
NeilM":1auceldw said:
That has got to be a pretty rare bike, if not unique.

Mind you, if were going to start allowing modern bike pictures on this thread, I'll have to think about posting this.

But as it's a bit too new, I won't.

Mate, that geometry looks so right to me.... :cool:

With a handbuilt 853 frame and a fox fork, i would want to spec that to the hilt with XTR and the like, im :oops: sorry i just wouldnt be able to have that and not do.

Cool... :cool:

sinnerman":2gtitm87 said:
Mate, that geometry looks so right to me.... :cool:

With a handbuilt 853 frame and a fox fork, i would want to spec that to the hilt with XTR and the like, im :oops: sorry i just wouldnt be able to have that and not do.

Cool... :cool:

Thanks Carl.

It was pretty much thrown together as fast / cheap as possible to get it going, and since then I have not stopped riding it long enough to think about an upgreade, plus, there have been one or two projects consuming funds :oops: But I was looking at the photo after I posted it and though, you have got to get some decent running gear on that poor bike, so it is now due an upgrade at some point soon.

It's a great riding bike as it's nippy, stable, easy, fun and predictable to ride, which makes it my go to workhorse. It is starting to share that position with the DB, but for trail, training and general all round riding, it's my kiddie, and if you look at the Today's Ride thread in the general section, you will see my woodland snow ride, when I took it into the local woods this winter.

If only Shimano would take the sensible route and produce grip shifters, I could be tempted with XTR. As they don't, then it will have to be SRAM XX or X0.... I could always use it to try 1 X 11 ;)

here's of pic of my '91 ALVES, a 531 frame, which went through numerous groupsets, brakes etc and 3 paint jobs! it's pictured here with ringle cage, suntour self-energisers at the rear, campag cantis on the front on the mag 21s, and a centaur groupset i think! seatpin was mavic and i think headset was too. i have a pic of it somewhere of it as it was first built, but can't find it! it was met black with chrome rear and stem as below but with the original black rs1 rockshox with the pink logos, pink onza bar ends and a pink avocet speedo, lol!
there is no doubting charlie's building skills, from trikes, tandems, recumbents and even hand-crank machines, he would tackle anything! i practically lived in that little shed with him when we were building my bikes! he was a top bloke, real hippy dude with his giant beard and giant head of curly hair! best bikes i've ever ridden, many, many good memories!! :D :D

Attachments

• Alves91.jpeg
    Alves91.jpeg
    199 KB · Views: 59
Back