Boston marathon.

Meanwhile about 140 people were killed in bomb blasts in Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria, Somalia and Pakistan yesterday. But being literally an everyday occurrence, that doesn't make the news.

Very depressing..........and i take the above point on board too, innocents die every day somewhere in the world.

This just in -- 88 people killed in road accidents in the US. EVERY DAY.

Yeah, OK, that's not quite the same, road deaths aren't usually the result of malicious intent. Try this one:

35 people murdered in the US. Every day.

Boston is shocking, but we seem to fall over ourselves to express how shocked we are by these high-profile, out-of-the-ordinary events while tolerating events orders of magnitude worse that just happen to take place constantly.

Because if we all wailed and sobbed over thr daily individual events that caused high aggregate casualty numbers such as road deaths, fags, Jeremy Kyle viewing related suicides etc, we'd all be suffering PTSD.

We're intellectually conditioned to cope or handle the world in a certain shape and condition, and death as a result of lawful activity such as driving or sports, other accident, illness, even murder is sufficiently commonplace that our psyches have adapted since birth to manage that. An act of sheer terrorism undoubtedly intended to cause mass death, gross injury etc, is vastly out of societal norms and quite worthy of both condemnation and expressions of sadness and sympathy. I would suggest that someone who is isn't at least intellectually, if not emotionally, concerned or moved by such an event might be a sociopath.

Chopper1192":2v3b6hen said:
I would suggest that someone who is isn't at least intellectually, if not emotionally, concerned or moved by such an event might be a sociopath.

There's a difference between being emotionally moved and feeling the need to broadcast the fact across Facebook, Twitter and bicycle forums, though.

I am not particularly 'moved'.

Nor am I shocked.

Dwelling on it a moment, I am amazed at how little terrorism has impacted on the US in the years post the War On Terror's inception.

Innocent people being killed is every day, all over the world.

To be fair, speaking as an impartial expert on the subject, the "bomb" that I seen on the video from boston was tiny. people should be thankful it wasn't a decent size. the blast radius was pathetic,. a grenade would have caused more damage.

looked more like an IED rather than an actual bomb, to me.

lives are lives and it sucks, but really, more people are killed in compton daily than in boston then.

IED's are home made and vary alot in size, build quality, and damage, and are usually made from things that joe blogs can aquire, chemical wise.

as opposed to C4 which isn't just available in walmart ;D

Back