Ibis Ti Mojo dilemma .. What would you do?

I'm pretty sure I agree with many, I'll leave the rear brake well alone, it still stops me and the front fork has disk mount, so stopping isnt actually a problem other than when the mud gets deep and claggy.

I am still unsure about the head tube. Yes one inch is original but its a real bitch getting forks for it, even the ti rigid fork was custom made cos I failed to track down an inch rigid fork at the length i wanted and made of something that wouldnt snap - I have a fear of alu steerers and decided to damn the budget, say no to steel and go for ti to match the frame. hmmm still cant decide. an inch and eight steerer would help if i ever decided to put gears and suspension back on... dilemma.

Based on your description, I'd leave it as is and keep an eye on the crack, see if it gets worse.

I'm guessing that this refab will cost $500+?

klasse":1dm01kto said:
I'm guessing that this refab will cost $500+?

It wont be cheap, but this bike has been my mistress for 18 years, so its not about the money. Mr Potts will assess the damage once he has the frame and come back to me with costs for each thing, the crack needs doing without doubt, so while I'm working this will get repaired. Above and beyond that we'll see.

Yep but not gotten around to uploading it anywhere yet... took ages to catch the light just right to see the crack, it could so easily just be a dirty mark from a ride. I'll post them up soon, not even sent the frame off yet, should be gone soon.

No to disc mount, and I'd stick to 1".

Keep it original, its an easy decision as you have a modern ti bike to put modern bits on.

I spoke to Steve Potts for half an hour last night and he siad that based on the picture, he'd mill out the current seatpost and completely remove the post right down to the bottom bracket, then basically clean the joins and weld in a new seatpost, he asked what size tube it was and when I said 26.8 he said he didnt have tubing to match and suggested he put in a more standard size, slightly larger. So I guess she isnt going to be original. As such I asked him to price me a new headtube to go to inch eight from inch. He will also clean up and check the frame all over for cracks, dings and scrapes. Should get collected by FedEx today. Result. On her way!

You want a picture of the bike box? ;)

Theres a pic of the frame at the top of the thread and as soon as I can I'll post up the one I have of the crack close up. Steve took pics as he worked on my other bike so if he does the same again I will post them up... if the pics are of a bike in pieces with no seat tube I be the grown man crying in the corner, like watching a relative having open heart surgery! :)

Latest posts

Back