i don't want to pay for thatchers funeral.

I will be retiring to a boat and beach in St. Lucia in due course. Summers will be spent in Scotland, with visits to London en route for the culture and all that, and the odd funeral of the high and mighty.

Don't ever plan to stop working.

Few in my family ever have, there is always something to do.

Don't buy into the 9-5, bowls, golf and die lifestyle.

I'm not asking for specifics - all I'm enquiring about, is to what degree you've actually saved - wherever it happens to be, for retirement.

You can say what you like about whether it's a barb - but I hear it all the time - over confident people, with over confident ideas about their abilities, the work they do, the sector they're in, and their attitude. They're always going to retire early, have a cunning plan, and plenty of means to do it. And always I ask, "So roughly how much have you provisioned for your retirment, then?"

Very few answer, even fewer have anything other coughs, splutters, or "It's none of your damn business!". Occasionally, some will talk some guff about a portfolio of investments - that really isn't quite that.

In my experience, plenty, impressed with themselves, talk big, do nothing, because there's always the BBD down the line. But it never really comes.

If you're really serious about planning for retirement, you'll be actively doing something now, and at the age of 35, should have been doing so for a good decade and a half.

Maybe I have you wrong - maybe you're truly that rare exception that hasn't really done anything yet, but truly have some cunning scheme that will right the wrongs of precious little actually saved so far for it, but somehow pull a rabbit out of the hat. When you retire early, you can post back here and tell me I'm just like every other internet blowhard.
^ this ;)

technodup":2js7otbr said:
Neil":2js7otbr said:
If you're really serious about planning for retirement, you'll be actively doing something now,
When I said plan I didn't mean a future plan.

Strange though that nobody wants to tell you how much they have saved.
£3.57p

There ya go... ;)

Last year we gave India over £900,000,000 in aid. Yep, almost a billion squid to a country that can afford its own space programme and nuclear weapons.

I'll worry about the serious money before I start fretting at a few million around the edges.

Even £900m isn't really the serious money, given that total spending is about £520bn.

Pensions £127bn
Health care £121bn
Welfare £63.1bn
Interest £47bn
Defence £45.8bn
Education £33.5bn

Never realised we spent more on interest than defence.

I tend to agree that India probably doesn't need our help any more, though.

Thats a lot of sponduliks!

The Olympics cost the thick end of £20 billion, the exact figure depending on who you believe. I think if I were so worried about the state of the nations finances that I felt compelled to vent my spleen on a retro bicycle forum, then I'd concentrate on the big spends before worrying about the sort of numbers that wouldn't keep Ronnie Wood in fags and Vodka for a week.

Back