epiphone les paul gibson

Andy R":13cbzryg said:
That bass looks like it's out of the Matsumoko factory in Japan, same as Westone, Aria etc of the same vintage. Is it marked anywhere as "Made in Japan"?
I rather like it, typical neck-through of the mid seventies.

*Edit* I've just looked at the link - Matsumoko it is then. Glad I haven't lost my bass spotting skills ;)

I had a Westone as a teen, Thunder One Active if I recall correctly.

Not being a bass aficionado I couldn't say what that Matsu one is worth, but it looks like it might work as a starter, and if you locate a decent amp I am sure it will serve well.

cool pics...i avoided the mid life crisis thing by never maturing in the first place....saves time and hassle looking for a convertible red mg.

highlandsflyer":29m1798z said:
Andy R":29m1798z said:
That bass looks like it's out of the Matsumoko factory in Japan, same as Westone, Aria etc of the same vintage. Is it marked anywhere as "Made in Japan"?
I rather like it, typical neck-through of the mid seventies.

*Edit* I've just looked at the link - Matsumoko it is then. Glad I haven't lost my bass spotting skills ;)

I had a Westone as a teen, Thunder One Active if I recall correctly.

Not being a bass aficionado I couldn't say what that Matsu one is worth, but it looks like it might work as a starter, and if you locate a decent amp I am sure it will serve well.

Those Matsumoko basses are pretty much unmistakable, they all have the same "look", including the Arias.
This is mine, which is pretty much identical to the Westone Thunder 2 (Mk.1) except it originally had an XLR output socket and has shorter headstock. They all seem to weigh a ton (ash body "wings"), have good quality hardware (compare that bridge with that on a Precision of the same era), excellent fingerboards and fret work and stable necks.
This one of mine is pretty much as good as the day it was made and it's been gigged a lot.....

Its only real drawback is restricted access between the fingerboard and neck pickup (and the weight).......
If that Asama bass still has good fretwork and fingerboard (and it probably does) then with something like a Seymour Duncan or EMG pick-up (with new control pots) and a new set of Rotosound RS66 strings it'll be good to go for another twenty years of pub gigs. Every bit as good as a Precision and better made than a 1970's one, that's for sure, and impervious to sweat, beer, and the inevitable pissed-up dickhead falling onto the stage.

It deserves to be used, in other words :cool:

Attachments

• Matsumoko-2.jpg
    Matsumoko-2.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 131
  • Matsumoko-1.jpg
    Matsumoko-1.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 131
that looks the same...the shape being the only change..its just a shame i dont play..sorry,,,hangs head in shame.

gibbleking":27r968e3 said:
cool pics...i avoided the mid life crisis thing by never maturing in the first place....saves time and hassle looking for a convertible red mg.

Hoi, I have one of those :LOL: (it's my wife's car, honest) Didn't you say you were looking for a car? The MGF is dirt cheap and great fun - you know you want one really!

i got one yesterday afternoon.

got this for 750 inc tax and a years mot.the volvo goes on thursday.i am amazed at the respponses i got so far...im beginning to think this should be called retro people.co.uk.

Attachments

• IMG_20130415_115716.jpg
    IMG_20130415_115716.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 121
doris bore the brunt of my current employement staus and is part of the trade in for the fiat.sniff.i just couldnt afford to pay petrol,road tax ect...so a smaller car was on the menu...its why my yamaha dragstar went on sunday too...oh well :cry:

Tragic :( I only hope the Fiat doesn't cost you in repairs and hassle what the Volvo was drinking in petrol...

Back