Suntour Power shifter and front derailleur combos

Johnsqual

Senior Retro Guru
Hello,

I've got a bike with suntour power shifters on the downtube.

Unfortunately, the front derailleur (cyclone, clamp on) has cracked at the clamp
on the non-drive side. I seem to have three options:

1) Try to fix the clamp, e.g. using araldite. Not sure if this will be strong enough.

2) Try to reassemble the FD with a new clamp, but not sure if it's possible to take
the whole thing apart since it's mostly assembled with rivets

3) I've got a suntour 'Spirt' FD I could use (the ones that work the opposite way to normal derailleurs ). Not sure if this works with the powershifters though. I can't see why not - presumably the ratchet will still work.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Johnny

when I started cycling with the ctc back in the 70's as a schoolboy, I recall one other lad coming out on a raleigh with suntour powershifts and we used to remark how his front derailleur worked the other way round (ie slack cable for large ring), so it appears the set up was at some point sold like this. Give it a go.

As far as I'm aware Power Shifters are designed to work with a reverse-sprung FD anyway. When I fitted a set to my bike I had a conventional FD for a while until I managed to get hold of a Compe-V and the shifters worked fine with both. It stands to reason that they would if you think about what's happening.

Back