i don't want to pay for thatchers funeral.

technodup":1w17h7gw said:
Neil":1w17h7gw said:
technodup":1w17h7gw said:
I'd like to have more money, a better car, bigger house etc etc. Do I deserve it at the moment? No. I haven't put the right time or energy into the right actions. Will I have deserved it when I am in a position to retire at 40? Fncking right I will.

How old are you now, and what financial provision have you currently to retirement.

I often hear about people and ambitious plans to retire early. When asked what they've currently done, often, it's currently nothing, but they're always going to make some big shakes, in a bit, when they've got more spare...
I'm 35 next month.

My financial provision is nobody's business but mine, other than to say I have a very clear plan in place. I am fortunate in the sense I don't work for anyone, can build residual income quickly, am in a business where I can keep my personal spending low through barter and am part of a team with decades of experience of the highs and lows of business. Your thinly veiled barb is water off a duck's back.

I didn't say I would retire at 40, I won't. I've been made redundant once. My primary goal is to ensure I'm never in the position where someone else holds the key to my future.

this is just an obsevation, not criticism.
but if you are part of a team surely your future depends on the teams performance, and not purely on your own merits.
surely your team holds the key to your future.
i think your optimisim is very refreshing.

videojetman":jon56gbv said:
this is just an obsevation, not criticism.
but if you are part of a team surely your future depends on the teams performance, and not purely on your own merits.
surely your team holds the key to your future.
i think your optimisim is very refreshing.
Not at all. Firstly it's not a team in the normal sense, but more importantly even if it were and it were to break down or not perform then I would have the skills and drive necessary to make it elsewhere. Which is the original point I was trying to make, about ownership of your own destiny.

Everyone has it. Few use it.

technodup":1knht2gc said:
highlandsflyer":1knht2gc said:
No exceptions?

But for the rest?

Those unemployed?
Those in debt?
Those not earning as much as they think they should?
Those who are fat?
Those who got a snide degree?

Many in these groups like to blame others for their predicament. I hear it every day. And it's always pish.

I'd like to have more money, a better car, bigger house etc etc. Do I deserve it at the moment? No. I haven't put the right time or energy into the right actions. Will I have deserved it when I am in a position to retire at 40? Fncking right I will.
Always pish?

My mate and his misses both lost their jobs in quick secession. She had to downsize her position at work and they had to sell their house and move to a downtrodden area where my mate (whom has a PhD science degree of some kind) is now working packing boxes for £6whatever an hour.

She has now lost her job completely and he is walking 5 miles to work every day to pay the bills. His company employs 90% of foreigners and her company were employing from abroad too. They have a full mortgage to pay and they've done everything they can to keep a job.

Is that their fault?

As for you retiring at 40, that's the biggest BS I've heard as you can't have any money as I've seen the bikes you've got listed and they're average.

Walter Mitty posts on Retrobike folks! :roll:

scottmac":2jav0xg6 said:
you can't have any money as I've seen the bikes you've got listed and they're average

Now, now!

You are not seriously suggesting the bikes you choose to ride are an indicator of wealth?

scottmac":31pr5en2 said:
technodup":31pr5en2 said:
highlandsflyer":31pr5en2 said:
No exceptions?

But for the rest?

Those unemployed?
Those in debt?
Those not earning as much as they think they should?
Those who are fat?
Those who got a snide degree?

Many in these groups like to blame others for their predicament. I hear it every day. And it's always pish.

Always pish?

My mate and his misses both lost their jobs in quick secession. She had to downsize her position at work and they had to sell their house and move to a downtrodden area where my mate (whom has a PhD science degree of some kind) is now working packing boxes for £6whatever an hour.

She has now lost her job completely and he is walking 5 miles to work every day to pay the bills. His company employs 90% of foreigners and her company were employing from abroad too. They have a full mortgage to pay and they've done everything they can to keep a job.

Is that their fault?

As for you retiring at 40, that's the biggest BS I've heard as you can't have any money as I've seen the bikes you've got listed and they're average.

Walter Mitty posts on Retrobike folks! :roll:
It's never entered your head that I don't spunk £4k on a bike because that same £4k might be put to more productive use elsewhere?

I've never bought a TV. I'm currently on my third free hand me down CRT. Do people take the piss? Aye. Do I give a ****? No. Am I content that while they are paying finance on this that and the next thing I live within my means and prepare for the future? Definitely.

And just quickly on your previous point, the problem isn't so much what has happened, it's more what didn't happen previously. thousands if not millions bought houses they basically couldn't afford. More saving and more restraint from more people and we wouldn't be in such a mess as we are.

This is going to turn into something resembling playground bullying soon so I'm out.

But it's so so tempting.

I have a mate who has spent upwards of 100k on guitars, amps and a studio.

He sold his play car in order to complete the studio, rather than a few of the guitars.

He is a few years older than me, has worked offshore until setting up his own carpentry firm and his wife works hard as a district nurse.

They have no kids, and their house is in a very inexpensive town.

Madness as far as I am concerned, there are a million things I would do before collecting so many guitars.

However, our family motto is each to their own, so I try to respect that.

What I find odd is when I see really fancy gleaming Ti bikes pictured against shabby skirting boards or nasty looking kitchen units.

I guess we all have different priorities.

My cousin is married to a pretty wealthy chappie.

I gave them bikes as a wedding gift, he had all sorts of flash motorbikes and cars but no bicycle.

technodup":tvoaki2m said:
Neil":tvoaki2m said:
technodup":tvoaki2m said:

How old are you now, and what financial provision have you currently to retirement.

I often hear about people and ambitious plans to retire early. When asked what they've currently done, often, it's currently nothing, but they're always going to make some big shakes, in a bit, when they've got more spare...
I'm 35 next month.

My financial provision is nobody's business but mine, other than to say I have a very clear plan in place.

I'm not asking for specifics - all I'm enquiring about, is to what degree you've actually saved - wherever it happens to be, for retirement.

You can say what you like about whether it's a barb - but I hear it all the time - over confident people, with over confident ideas about their abilities, the work they do, the sector they're in, and their attitude. They're always going to retire early, have a cunning plan, and plenty of means to do it. And always I ask, "So roughly how much have you provisioned for your retirment, then?"

Very few answer, even fewer have anything other coughs, splutters, or "It's none of your damn business!". Occasionally, some will talk some guff about a portfolio of investments - that really isn't quite that.

In my experience, plenty, impressed with themselves, talk big, do nothing, because there's always the BBD down the line. But it never really comes.

If you're really serious about planning for retirement, you'll be actively doing something now, and at the age of 35, should have been doing so for a good decade and a half.

Maybe I have you wrong - maybe you're truly that rare exception that hasn't really done anything yet, but truly have some cunning scheme that will right the wrongs of precious little actually saved so far for it, but somehow pull a rabbit out of the hat. When you retire early, you can post back here and tell me I'm just like every other internet blowhard.

Neil":2ep2a4ij said:
If you're really serious about planning for retirement, you'll be actively doing something now,
When I said plan I didn't mean a future plan.

Strange though that nobody wants to tell you how much they have saved.

technodup":z3wnulm7 said:
Neil":z3wnulm7 said:
If you're really serious about planning for retirement, you'll be actively doing something now,
When I said plan I didn't mean a future plan.

Strange though that nobody wants to tell you how much they have saved.

What do you mean...!?

I don't look that dodgy in real life... <checks mirror> OK, fair point, well made.

Back