• RM part built 002.JPG
    RM part built 002.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 176
  • RM part built 001.JPG
    RM part built 001.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 176
LikeClockwork":2gzv2ozm said:
And today I did this....but it didn't really go very well.... :facepalm:

It's the yellow bars isnt it :LOL: Its a hard colour top blend into a build, just so bloody bright.
Talking of which :)
Did some initial polishing of my Ti and got it back to mirror in most places,Ideally i should strip down the whole thing and do it properly but its my only transport and i have too much to do to be off the road for too long.
I really need a hack bike ,but everything i come across is a bloody medium :(

Adds note: A 21" comes along always after ive bought a pile of parts. Fate always has it that i spend exactly the same amount as the bike :?

:LOL:

This WAS supposed to be my 'hack' bike, the whole point was that it was all crappy colours and used up all my spares...but the seat post wouldn't fit but the sus one would, the tyres were just to wind my landlady up, and I couldn't get the chainrings on the chainset I had due to various reasons I won't bore you with, but I did end up with a chainring tooth shaped gouge on my thumb... :facepalm:

I ran out of time after that, not the best use of my first day off in 10....

Took the Colnago out for it's first proper ride today and very nice it was too. Couple of things to get used to however. First, vintage Campag look style pedals. Only ever used spd clipless before so these things took a bit of getting used to. I think the cleats are just about right, but I'm using the red 9 deg float ones so it seem to take a lot of twisting to get out. Also tension screw works in opposite direction to spd and has no markings, so when I thought I was loosening them I was actually making release harder! Still I only paid 99p + £4 postage for them and bearings are still perfect. Downtube gear shifters aren't as scary as I first feared, but without indexing moving the lever the right amount first time is a bit of a guess. It'll just take a bit of time learning the bike, it's just a bit of a culture shock having only ever used STI shifters on a road bike. Compared to my compact chainset cross bike the traditional gearing is on the high side of what I'm used to, but that should make it good training. Didn't notice it's only 7 speed, but did miss that 28t rear sprocket, I think the biggest is a 24t. The one thing I was unsure about was the Concor saddle, it just looked a really weird shape. Once in the drops however it made perfect sense, the shape fitted perfectly. Looking forward to more sunny days to get some mile in.

Found a nice set of bars
Nitto i think ? :? Steel bar and quill stem combo.Ill do a pic when i get them home.(tomorrow)

Seem to remember someone asking me to look out for a pair but i cant remember who.

zigzag":29p8kw72 said:
nitto bullmoose? if so, nice find Andy!

Thats it ,bullmoose :D
Ive seen similar on here with the stem seemingly bolting onto the bars but this is a one piece affair :? A rather long quill and the bars themselves are pretty chunky.
Down side is it doesnt have the bolt of quill nut thingy but those are easily obtainable. 1" i think.

Hi Dyna, the bars sound nice. The bolt and wedge on those is the same as those used on road bikes that use quill stems so should be easy to find. I will have a look in the spares drawer in the shed tomorrow when I get in as I might have one sitting about.
Clubby, sounds like a nice ride out, youcant really beat downtube shifters. They really are nice to use, I've put a set of Dura Ace 9 speed on my Long haul Trucker and am wondering why I ever swapped over to STI's. Indexed rear, friction front, beautiful crisp, effortless, accurate and silent. Superb! It has been a couple of years before that since I used them but instantly felt at home with them. Its what I learnt with and used for a long time, once you get used to them its very natural.
What I did today?.............
Well on the upside I just fitted my new Marathon duremes to the Trucker, but inwardly spent most of the day crying as have been told that the head off my van is beyond repair and they dont recommend putting a new one on, as the heat will have damaged the bottom end, need to look for a new motor for it.
Lucky I put new tyres on the Trucker, looks like I'm going to need them.
Jamie

Latest posts

Back