1986 Colnago Mexico - Finished

It's a Nuovo Mexico as it has the 4 crimps down the down tube, also was a precursor to the Master,
so as far as I'm aware, would have been top shelf back in the day

Doubledee":1yo7drnl said:
another small point I hope you dont mind the comment. Personally I'd replace the brake caliper nuts with dome nuts, not sure if they are right for the era? You can get them from DIY shops or campyoldy for next to nothing.

I thought about this a lot but it kind of works within the period. The 2nd gen SR calipers complete with conical nuts were available towards the end of the 80's, the fluteless cranks came out roughly the same year so within a 3/4 year window it all kind of works.

saarf":jgatqan4 said:
lucky man, a fine steed indeed!
I have one myself, though alas with no headtube chrome luggs :facepalm:
I noticed your 'slx' decal, you may want to change this, is doesn't look clear coated, because as far as I'm aware, no Nuovo Mexicos
were constructed from slx, but sl , you could find more info in this venerable site catalog archives,
enjoy your bike !

This was a major concern of mine but the decal is under the laquer and the frame has clearly never had paint work done. Though I'm buggered if I can find anything on the web relating to an SLX-tubed Nuovo Mexico.

saarf":1pqngo6v said:
eat my hat maybe
I cant see the downtube clearly, but I think it has more than 4 crimps, poss 5?
if so then would steer it towards and early slx
here's a cheeky link, to an ESA mexio
http://saarf.net/2012/12/06/colnago-cat ... 06a1/#main
and an early slx
http://saarf.net/2012/12/06/colnago-cat ... 62-4/#main
hard to tell ay?

Now, this is interesting. How do you mean 5 crimps, would this mean there's a central crimp? My frame has two crimps on it's DT one on each side.

Ah, here's 5 crimps...

Mine has 2

P7050383.jpg

i goy my nouvo right next to me, just about to go out,
got to eat a little pasta so I'll take a photo of my crimps for comparative porpoises, back at you soon

saarf":3nq0t7m1 said:
i goy my nouvo right next to me, just about to go out,
got to eat a little pasta so I'll take a photo of my crimps for comparative porpoises, back at you soon

I'd like to see your bike actually, haven't been able to make any good comparisons between mexico frames yet. Thanks

now you say the Columbus decal is clearcoated, and seeing the above I'd say slx, I did see the clover decal on the back of the seattube stay are, and I've sold an slx befor in an almost identically colour, here's the nouvo crimp shots, real time interaction :cool:
also a link to the full spec on it
http://saarf.net/category/colnago-nuovo ... tographia/
I do have a picture of the slx in my stock list, put not in my harddrive, so if ok, I'll find that later

Attachments

• 8652734496_91499aa085_z.jpg
    8652734496_91499aa085_z.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 721
  • 8652734528_66f2de2c2d_z.jpg
    8652734528_66f2de2c2d_z.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 721
  • 8652734562_285f57f717_z.jpg
    8652734562_285f57f717_z.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 721
agentorange":1og0sdqc said:
Doubledee":1og0sdqc said:
another small point I hope you dont mind the comment. Personally I'd replace the brake caliper nuts with dome nuts, not sure if they are right for the era? You can get them from DIY shops or campyoldy for next to nothing.

I thought about this a lot but it kind of works within the period. The 2nd gen SR calipers complete with conical nuts were available towards the end of the 80's, the fluteless cranks came out roughly the same year so within a 3/4 year window it all kind of works.

Im happy with that, loving all these Colnago pictures, those crimped tubes are beautiful, get out and ride now, its even approaching 18 deg C in the Peak District today! :D :D

Back