Rock Lobster...what are they all about!

But are not the Merlin ones simply labelled Rock Lobster, not actually built by Paul S? Obviously they pay royalties on the name (and presumably Sadoff has some say over quality).

Yes there is confusion in this thread.

Rock Lobster is the name Paul Sadoff used for his very nice custom frames.

In the nineties he licensed the name to Merlin cycles in Preston who spat out Taiwanese catalogue frames and stuck Rock Lobster decals on them.

The former are very desirable, the latter less so (but perfectly good cheap frames).

Ah i didn't know the Merlin Cycles were entirely in house with just the Rock Lobster name. Surely though Paul Sadoff would have some say in how the taiwanese frames were built otherwise they could damage his cred ?

velomaniac":mtz78tsm said:
Ah i didn't know the Merlin Cycles were entirely in house with just the Rock Lobster name. Surely though Paul Sadoff would have some say in how the taiwanese frames were built otherwise they could damage his cred ?

I believe there was a top level model Sadoff had a hand in that was also distributed through Merlin, and you can order a Sadoff custom frame through Merlin.

But I think they are mostly badged up efforts as per that review on the previous page. Dunno if / how much hand Sadoff had in the design, but the price indicates not a massive amount.

was8v":28qzgncd said:
velomaniac":28qzgncd said:

I believe there was a top level model Sadoff had a hand in that was also distributed through Merlin, but they were mostly badged up efforts as per that review on the previous page.

So by 97 they would have been the mass produced variety made by Merlin with just the Rock Lobster badge??

wookiee":18u9r1z4 said:
So by 97 they would have been the mass produced variety made by Merlin with just the Rock Lobster badge??

Could be either. Sadoff was making custom frames badged rock lobster and Merlin were flogging mass produced Rock Lobsters at the same time (and still are).

That Fuji Stout Lite frame in the review on the previous page was (is) fantastic value for money, just not as desirable as a custom handmade!

danson67":35g0vkj5 said:
He's a wonderfully opinionated old curmudgeon up against the artsy-craftys Portland set.
Overopinionatedframebuilder is his other blog, as opposed to the clean one on his site.

I particularly like his NAHBS post:
...one can only begin to imagine what kind of incredible artistry will be gracing the halls of the next handmade bike show. Ideally, you won't be able to afford it and if all goes to plan, you wouldn't be able to ride it.......that, in bike show talk is a masterpiece.

Oh, and they are named after the B52s :cool:

All the best,

Yes, that is hilarious.

"So, with those circumstances you will all have to settle for this: The 2012 Show Bike guidelines, at least how I see it. The categories will each have a set of standards, each more 'exclusive' and prestigious than the last.

Builder's waiting list:
1. Builder has a 3 month waiting list.
2. Builder has a 1 year waiting list
3. Builder has a 3 year waiting list
4. Builder has a 6 year waiting list.
5. Builder's list is now closed.
6. Builder's list was never opened.

Logo treatment:
1. Painted on logo
2. Hand painted on logo
3. Acid etched logo in tube
4. Stainless logo soldered onto frame
5. Removed material from tube in shape of logo
6. Neon logo
7. Small r.c. blimp with logo on side orbiting show bike

Sales points as to exclusivity of show bike:
1. Limited edition of only 5 frames
2. This frame would max out your credit card
3. Taking out a second mortgage would be needed to fund this frame purchase
4. Selling testicle would be needed to purchase this frame
5. Selling one kidney would be needed to purchase this frame
6. Selling both kidnleys would be needed to purchase this frame

Marketing philosophy:
1. This frame would be good for anyone
2. This frame would be good for almost anyone
3. This is a luxury item for special people only
4. This is a luxury item for one special person or less

Method of construction:
1. Hand brazed with an oxy-acetylene torch
2. Brazed with mapp gas
3. Hearth brazed with rendered fat from free-range chickens
4. Brazed with methane extracted from the anus of free range livestock

Materials selected for construction:
1. Good steel
2. The best steel
3. The very best steel
4. Slightly better than the very best steel
5. N.O.S. cryogenically stored steel previously owned by a succession of deceased framebuilders who never got around to using it to build a frame

Seat attachment style:
1. Brazed binder with fully adjustable polished seatpost
2. Seatmast with 2 c.m. of adjustment
3. Seatmast with 1 c.m. of adjustment
4. Saddle welded to seat mast ( no adjustment)
5. Bibshorts stitched to saddle welded to seatmast ( less than no adjustment )

With these guidelines, one can only begin to imagine what kind of incredible artistry will be gracing the halls of the next handmade bike show. Ideally, you won't be able to afford it and if all goes to plan, you wouldn't be able to ride it.......that, in bike show talk is a masterpiece."

The mention of waiting lists is so apt of late.

Back