What Trek Y50 did I buy - 1997, but what?

wrecker74

Dirt Disciple
Found this for sale recently & bought it, but not 100% sure what it is!!!! Came as a full bike, which now is stripped down....

Obviously a Trek Y-50 (from '97 I believe). However can't find it in the Trek catalogue. They did a Y Five-O and a Y-33 in 1997, but can't find this frame anywhere.

Did a search on google images and found a rare Y-50 in "Rasta" but this had a red anno rear triangle.

Would appreciate if there's someone out there with a bit of Trek history, who could shed a bit of light on the subject.

Cheers.

Attachments

• IMG_2864.JPG
    IMG_2864.JPG
    91.3 KB · Views: 1,452
  • IMG_2865.JPG
    IMG_2865.JPG
    86 KB · Views: 1,451
  • IMG_2866.JPG
    IMG_2866.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 1,452
Going by Google, it looks like you've got a Y50 Rasta (rear shock and decals give it away!).

Someone has either removed the anodising from the rear end or swapped it for a different one at some point :D

Thanks for the help. Obviously is the rasta front end and shock, but why silver back end?

Wonder how rare the frame is? The link to the trek history http://cool386.tripod.com/trek/trek.html makes no real reference, although there is a pic of a y50 with the text "This version of the Y50 appeared later in 1997 and closely resembles the Y33 of the same year. It is not shown in the catalog".

Anyway cheers for the input/links.

maybe the original rear end was damaged,scratched or broke at some point and a replacement bought or maybe changed under gurantee?

Ooh lovely shiny y'ness!
I'm so biased but I love them!
Yep it's a Rasta - the rear end probably snapped hence your silver rear end.

Keep an eye on the shock as they're a bit delicate.

Mines a 98 but I love it and hence repainted it in Y50 colours.....
Any excuse..........
84be8693.jpg

Nice five-0! :cool:

No plans for mine yet. Just to clean it up and keep it for now. Whats a rasta worth? Any ideas? Would also like to know how many were manufactured, but it seems from google searches that there are not too many details on the "rasta".

Rear end is probably silver from warranty replacement, used to crack around the shock mounts regularly.

Back