Which Retro Muddy Fox is worth having?

Blindingsun":3n3c4zqf said:
http://www.re-buy-cycle.co.uk/uploads/245/L/0.jpg

this is the ONLY muddy fox I'd ever want

god no :shock: muddy fox equivalent of the activator 2! they did so much nicer stuff than that.

'88, '89 and '91 were the nicest bikes to ride IMO with the '88's easy going and nice and slack with the '89's quite progressive with some of the features that other Brit makes weren't adding (Like T-bone stems and Wishbone stays), the 91's picked up the quality riding again with the 1990 year a bit hit and miss.
I've had 4 Hardtails now from MF and have kept the two I like best for riding.
The '89 Courier comp is a decent bike that is comfortable all day, but feel s more suited to road use now (although I have used it offroad), the '91 Sorcerer Mega though is a great ride and I was able to stay with guys on modern XC kit a couple of years ago on holiday.
Don't totally write off 1990 bikes but they are an acquired taste as they have the more aggressive geometry but the stems are loooong and looooow and for me it just pitched me too head down and stretched out and the steering is a bit slow. If you can live with this it's fine but I couldn't.
I'd still like an '88 bike at some stage and a new mancave might allow this, i'd certainly be looking out for a 19" Explorer or Courier.
You can expect to pay something between £40-£150 for one of these bikes for example I paid:
£70 for my Sorcerer Mega which was 90% original and 9/10 condition and only needed a Deore chainset.
£90 for my Seeker Mega which was 100% original and 9.5/10 conditon.
£50 for my Pathfinder which was 95% original (only a back tyre) and 9/10 condition
Was Karma'd the CC frame from Baz77 who paid £40 for the bike to split it and use the parts.
Baz77 paid about £150 for his '89 Sorcerer which is 10/10 and 100% original.

Carl.

jonnyboy666":2j35gkdv said:
Blindingsun":2j35gkdv said:
http://www.re-buy-cycle.co.uk/uploads/245/L/0.jpg

this is the ONLY muddy fox I'd ever want

god no :shock: muddy fox equivalent of the activator 2! they did so much nicer stuff than that.

Agreed and HM already has the Rock and Roll team which is a proper contender.

Carl.

Carl,
Thank you. I have printed your post and shall be memorizing it. (before swallowing it to prevent Mrs HM seeing it)

I have to say I remember MF being cool along with Marin back in the day. I had moved on to the world of work and was flying around London on a motorcycle by then. I had bikes but only for pub/breakdown usage.

Really enjoying getting out on mine and the site banter. I want two bikes only. The FS and something contrastingly minimal but useable at my age and after 20 years out of the saddle without worrying about it too much.

regards THM

Re:

Going back a bit this thread wow! Since then i have sold all but one of mine, the 1990 prestige comp which i love and is about 80% original spec and has done me proud for about 3 years now.

Carl

The History Man":v6tuea3e said:
Carl,
Thank you. I have printed your post and shall be memorizing it. (before swallowing it to prevent Mrs HM seeing it)

I have to say I remember MF being cool along with Marin back in the day. I had moved on to the world of work and was flying around London on a motorcycle by then. I had bikes but only for pub/breakdown usage.

Really enjoying getting out on mine and the site banter. I want two bikes only. The FS and something contrastingly minimal but useable at my age and after 20 years out of the saddle without worrying about it too much.

regards THM

Well a lot has happened since then..............

Back