Which Retro Muddy Fox is worth having?

jimwise68":2hx2c7zs said:
I have a large 88 Explorer that im getting rid of. Once i've built it back up after taking it apart to give it a good clean. In really good condition, but not all parts are original.

Hmmmm very interesting......... do you have a bit more info or a pic? ;)

More importantly... what colour is it?

Its Yellow:

Here it is before splitting it down.
IMG_1806_zpsf2f7ffa3.jpg

Its got 21 gears rather than 18, newer Arayas and will have a newer Shimano crank on. Not to original spec but easier/more reliable to live with as a daily rider. Original parts are frame, forks, bars, stem and brakes. I can put on some newer shimano cantis that work better if you want. Just depends if you are after originality or usability.

Wouldnt need the mudguards, lock, rack, lights etc. was thinking of slicks! PM me with an amount you would accept. Bearing in mind You're in Chelmsford and I'm almost in the Severn Estuary........ :facepalm:

Mudguards, locks etc wont be coming with it. I was using it as a commuter bike for a week or so.

That is a Roadrunner which was the base model of the range back in 88.
You can see the 88 brochure in this thread:
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=17734&hilit=muddy+fox

Its probably a rarity due to the fact they may not have sold many. But its a lower end spec to the others in the range.

There are nicer retro MFs than that one IMO.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
you have to be careful with muddy fox bikes, the original ones were mostly pretty good for the (then) money and pretty much standard design for the time period, but then there was a period when it all went to crap and the bikes were really poor quality, the ebay link with the yellow challenger was a cheaper model that if memory serves the welding wasn't nice, the paint was thin, prone to chipping and rusting through, not to mention the really basic parts to get to the budget price it was sold for.

the second ebay link however was from an earlier time, 1987 maybe? can't remember the spec but i remember a kid at school having one and i liked it. this was just before they blew up to be popular then things went good for a while, i would say 89 to 93 was their best period.

the 3rd ebay link is also a nicer model from their better time period

i have a courier comp now, the green model from 90(?) i like those ones, also i had a seeker comp and and 1992(?) alu pro back in the day, liked both of them

i would suggest you do a search on here for muddy fox bikes to see what other people have worked on and ridden, it will give you an idea of the nicer models

Yeah dont buy anything later than a 92/93.

;)

There are lots that come up on Ebay usually. Certainly early 90s ones; Courier Comps, Megas, Alu etc.

Search in the Catalogue scans section for Muddy Fox, there are a few brochures on there ranging from 88-93 (i think), that will show all the bikes they made in their heyday. Decide which one you prefer then go a hunting for it :cool:

jonnyboy666":2cy1oyd0 said:
i have a courier comp now, the green model from 90(?)
Correct, same as the one in my sig. Seems like a cool bike - I say this as I havent ridden it, it got loosely assembled when I received it and then torn down for a re-build. Currently halfway through being cleaned etc before being built. Cool colour :cool:

Back