Pat Skeates Bike Project

Any information is much appreciated.

As for the restoration of this it may be that I get it up and pedalling for the end of May in a sympathtic fashion, meaning that it won't be period correct but it will look good and will be a bike again!

Thanks

Looking forward to seeing this one come together. Strata seatpin is nice, what are the 'bars? They look a bit 'South of France'ish' to me. Didn't Strata make these as well? And that chainring arrangement! I wonder how well that works in practice? Like OldTel says, later pattern Nervex Pro lugs which must date it pretty precisely. I suppose some early Weinmann HP rims would work OK in 27" on Airlite or Racelight hubs.

They are Maitland GB bars, they have a lovely swoop to them and look great with the GB levers too. Definitely keepers.

I have bought a pair of wheels on the following brief:

Must be 27", pretty clean and tidy, and not dated too far from 1955.

Picked up some Weinmann rims laced to Record 'No Record' hubs that will be with me tomorrow.

Progress!

luckyskull76":lkrbjhua said:
I am restoring a Pat Skeats bike at the moment(link below)..... i have only just found out that it was thanks to this thread. i love retro bike! Mine has a Andy bone decal on the seat tube. does yours? have you tracked down pat skeats decals?

http://www.lfgss.com/thread104481.html#post3520256

Hi great find! Mine only has the remnants of the original Pat Skeates decals, perhaps remnants is a little generous as they are very very faded. They are very different from the ones that are present on your bike but that doesn't mean in any shape or form that yours is incorrect as it is only the second bike I have ever seen. With a bit of patience I have been able to begin to create authentic looking decals that I am going to have produced in water slide transfer format in the coming weeks so would be happy to provide you with a set if you wanted the same look as mine.

I am in the process of getting in touch with my old club, the De Laune when I ran across your inquiry into Pat Skeats bikes...I had one. I had Mr. Skeats build me a frame possibly around 1951 or so, his shop was on a back street between Brixton and Clapham. He was noted for his very fine lug work - filing the points down almost to the tube, my lugs were not as ornate as the pictures shown.
I emigrated to the USA in the early sixties and told my parents to sell the bike ...what would I give to have that bike today.
The only pictures that I have of the bike is of me racing in time trials and at Brands Hatch etc.
Lionel Andalo

laa12336":d1ujrgqc said:
I am in the process of getting in touch with my old club, the De Laune when I ran across your inquiry into Pat Skeats bikes...I had one. I had Mr. Skeats build me a frame possibly around 1951 or so, his shop was on a back street between Brixton and Clapham. He was noted for his very fine lug work - filing the points down almost to the tube, my lugs were not as ornate as the pictures shown.
I emigrated to the USA in the early sixties and told my parents to sell the bike ...what would I give to have that bike today.
The only pictures that I have of the bike is of me racing in time trials and at Brands Hatch etc.
Lionel Andalo
Hi and welcome!

We love photos especially old racing ones. An old friend of mine used to race at Brands Hatch in the 50's. He was a member of the Mercury CC so probably from your old area?

Back