Ibis Ti Mojo dilemma .. What would you do?

ti_pin_man

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Ok, after 18 years of riding 4 times a week my original bling frame, a gorgeous Pre production prototype Ibis Ti Mojo developed a hairline crack.. Pretty good considering the number of places this bike has taken me and the number of crashes it has survived.
Anyway as she's been my mistress since 1994 I'm not hanging her on the wall but am getting her repaired by Steve Potts. He is the ti Jedi master.
So the hairline crack near the seatpost will be done but I'm wondering if, whilst she's there, I might get a disk mount added, she has the ibis hand job and as she is an old girl she has an inch head tube. I'm fortunate to have a inch rigid ti black sheep fork for her. OR do I leave her original?
Disk mount yes or no?
If yes, remove brake bosses and or hand job?
New inch eighth head tube?
I'm honestly torn and wonder what you guys would do? She is the love of my life and when she comes home she will be SS and rigid again as I have other bikes.

Do whatever you feel will keep you riding her most often. If that's disks and a new headtube, so be it.

If I were you, I would get tabs added to the fork and frame but I would keep the handjob on there. Its cool on its own is it not?

Run it rigid - definitely! You have for all of these years - Why stop?

Can we see the bike in question?

Compared to canti's, disc brakes add stopping power. But so do proper M950 V-brakes, so what are you trying to gain? Also take in mind you have to run the hydraulic cable for the rear brake all along the headtube. you beautiful frame will definitely look less clean with that on.

I would not add anything to it, just my 2 cents.

Is the current braking setup strong enough to lock up the rear wheel?

If so, why would you want more power? You can't use more braking power than can lock the wheel. My (steel) Mojo is running an Avid BB7 disc brake on the front and XT cantilever on the rear. That gives me all the braking power I ever need. And lets me run retro levers.

No real view on putting discs on it, just delighted someone is repairing an old bike and giving it a new lease of life.

Putting the new head on it might make sense, if that is a failure point on these long term. Then how about a BB shell?

I would be delighted to have Potts doing this work.

Back