Unidentified Tange Prestige Frame - Help Needed

new scales

just re weighed 5 times and each time i got

Forks = 740 grams
Frame = 1870 grams

I will take the frame to my LBS next week and weigh it on there Park Tools scales

To double check

Woodyuk":95x1if1w said:
new scales

just re weighed 5 times and each time i got

Forks = 740 grams
Frame = 1870 grams

I will take the frame to my LBS next week and weigh it on there Park Tools scales

To double check

they seem perfectly reasonable for a high end frame of this ... assumed... area and the forks too.

Its most likely either a MarinZig Zag Trail or Team Marin, or a Jamis Dakar Sport or Dragon, or a Parkpre Team 825 or 925. All three brands had steel frames with that "ti-plated" finish at the same time period using tubesets from the Tange Prestige family. Parkpre used the Prestige Ultimate Ultralight for example, Jamis just regular Prestige, and Marin used regular Prestige also. Find some old catalogs and look for the cable guide on the head tube and the brake cable noodle on the seat tube.

All prestige meant was that it was a heat-treated double-butted tubeset which was a step above the Tange MTB DB CrMo tubing. Prestige Concept was basically the next step and its where you start to see external profiling of the tube shape, like the flared bottom end of the seat tube to widen its contact area with the BB shell. But it was the Ultimate sub family of Prestige tubesets where the interesting things really started to happen with the butting profiles, and the tube shaping. Ultimate Ultrastrong for example was externally ribbed.

Good catch, Wheeler did use side headtube mounted cable stops on their other frames at some point and did use noodles...

(I remember seeing a picture, think it was around 1994 era as well, now just to find it to prove it :LOL:)

Frame has now been built up...

Attachments

• DSC_5155.JPG
    DSC_5155.JPG
    147.6 KB · Views: 700
  • DSC_5156.JPG
    DSC_5156.JPG
    130 KB · Views: 699
  • DSC_5157.JPG
    DSC_5157.JPG
    131.5 KB · Views: 699
Looks lovely, not overly keen on white cabling, but it's your bike not mine so i'll just stfu!

I think others are far better qualified than me to guess but I did have a saracen with the noodle cable guide, forward facing seat clamp and ovalised top tube where it met the seat tube. Was a 94 too. High end Saracen?

I say Wheeler, I see a very similar ti-plate finish one all the time and visually yours rings a bell for it...I will look closer next time I walk past it.

Back