Suntour XC Pro or XTR?

Tom79

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
So, I'm building up my 1994 Fat...got an XTR front mech and am looking for a rear mech...

Seen some old Fat Chance catalogues that feature XC Pro but I've never used it, only Shimano.

What do you think? A good alternative or does nothing beat the good old classic M900?

Much of a muchness.

M900 shifters are better.
M900 brake pad compounds are shite for uk use.
M900 Chainrings are a better design for slicker shifting.
M900 Skewers are a beauty to behold and use.
SE Suntours will brake better on the rear and less flex on the front if used with a booster.
XC Pro headset is better in the Suntour group.
XC Pro pedals are the mutts nuts.
XC Pro seatpost is smart and very solid.

Oh if just the rear mech then m900 is sweet as.

Chickenball":3lp1zspq said:
Its easier to find the XTR stuff but the Suntour stuff is sick if you can find it!
"sick" is when something is good, right?

One day, coming soon to a forum near you, I'm gonna start using words in some unlikely fashion, as some kind of unlikely, viral exercise to see if they catch on. I think I'm pretty hip to the modern jive talk kids are using, I reckon I can pull it off.

I am in the process of a '94 build and chose Suntour XC Pro as I liked the look of it and just fancied a change from Shimano. It was a lot harder trying to track some components down but I got there in the end :)

My_Teenage_Self":275yxxyd said:
Skeelsie":275yxxyd said:

Than XC pro thumbies? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

:LOL:

Yes, this one made me smile as well, although I agree on all the other bits of Skeelsie's posting. I never liked the M900 shifters, yes they look absolutely fantastic, but operational they were pretty awkward. Whereas the XC Pro thumbies are simply the best shifters you can find, to day. And they look stunning as well!

troje":1wcv6f8p said:
My_Teenage_Self":1wcv6f8p said:
Skeelsie":1wcv6f8p said:

Than XC pro thumbies? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

:LOL:

Yes, this one made me smile as well, although I agree on all the other bits of Skeelsie's posting. I never liked the M900 shifters, yes they look absolutely fantastic, but operational they were pretty awkward. Whereas the XC Pro thumbies are simply the best shifters you can find, to day. And they look stunning as well!

+1 to the 2 M900 sets I have, even my NOS 910s feel wrong.

Adding weight to the m900 shifters aren't that good argument. I've never found a set that I've thought worked properly, and I've paid very good money for it over time. It does look good, yes, but xt of the same era worked better imho, and as has been said, xc pro shifters are probably the best examples of thumbies you can find.

Back