Castorama Coloured Raleigh 531 MTB - £89

vrcorrado

Dirt Disciple
Feedback
View
Not mine, I am more of a road retro. This seems rare though - same colour scheme as the 1990 raleigh road team, 531 and I think original. Got to be worth £89! (I know it would be worth 3 times that if it was road)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RALEIGH-MTB-R ... 3cd0a7eb21

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Strange bike there, very strange. 1990 team reps for MTB were similar colours to mine with the high end being a dynatech.

Carl

Not one I recall from BITD.

Frame looks quite like my 1989 Raleigh Mirage which had a 501 tube and probably the rest hi-ten. Dropouts look a bit suspect.

Could of course be a 100% pukka 531 Raleigh....

Looks to me like a chop job 501 frame with a nice set of Road stickers on can't imagine a 531 frame with 300lx on ;)

Dropout is the same as mine, the easiest way to tell if its 531 is the top of the seat stay and how the logo plate is applied. The 501 has a plate that has very defined edges brazed to the top of the seat stay. The 531 is smoothly blended. The pics aren't clear though.

Carl

Could be some sort of special - get rid of some end of line frames - hang cheap groupo and paint like a 'team' bike, probably wouldn't make it into a catalogue either.

All these Raleigh frames 531 or 501 ride nicely IMO.

kermitgreenkona88":zyptbwt4 said:
Looks to me like a chop job 501 frame with a nice set of Road stickers on can't imagine a 531 frame with 300lx on ;)

Road frames never seem to have 'all terrain' 531 stickers..

I'd say legit

$T2eC16hHJGsFFMlsmVBGBRZc97E+3g~~60_12.JPG

kermitgreenkona88":cwhavq85 said:

There was one in 1990 with 300lx, my mate had one when we made our trip to the Brecons and rode up pen-y-fan, I've got a pic or two somewhere. It was grey with fluro green forks.

Carl

Wow, I used to have one of these, my first mountain bike bought new in 1991 from Noah's Ark in Cheltenham for, I think, around £300. Was specced exactly the same with the 531 frame and 300LX.

Did me proud for a couple of years but it was a bit of a dog, very heavy, no clearance on rear chainstays and geometry that was obsolete even then. Eventually sold it to a mate who resprayed it purple so that was the end of the Castorama colours!

Back