What is retro?

The History Man":3l1grm11 said:
On the attractiveness of the site to younger browsers, my son (1:cool: thinks it is for middle aged men like me with too much time on their hands! (His sentiments not mine)

I hope you congratulated him on his insightfulness, and made a partial attempt at basking in his reflected glory by saying something like "The apple doesn't fall far from the tree"...

Neil":y10p8gq2 said:
The History Man":y10p8gq2 said:
On the attractiveness of the site to younger browsers, my son (1:cool: thinks it is for middle aged men like me with too much time on their hands! (His sentiments not mine)

I hope you congratulated him on his insightfulness, and made a partial attempt at basking in his reflected glory by saying something like "The apple doesn't fall far from the tree"...

No I told him to sort his bloody puncture out! I texted him links to a couple of threads only to have them derided. Ah we'll "I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now" springs to mind. I also secretly drop tracks onto his iPod when he's home such as king crimson, bob and Neil young etc.

Back to retro though, a very subjective term by all accounts.
Rules (such as these)are for the adherence of fools and the guidance of wise men... Unless you like boxes and boundaries.

This is a constant query for me...surely "retro" is a movable beast....whilst I live by the rules on the forum that is pre and post 97...surely as time passes then the goalposts need to be adjusted. As if to say, if in 20 years time if we are all still biking and on this site...will a 2001 bike not then be "retro"?

In the same way that the 70's/80's fashions of when I were a kid are now back en vogue for being "retro" and "vintage" is it purely a state of mind, rather than due to any tech advances etc...

Another example "vintage cars" taxation for a vintage car is about how many years old the car is...so maybe the same should apply to bikes....more than 15 years old = retro. Otherwise in 1998 a previous year model bike could be considered retro compared to the same bike a year later by this criteria...?

*takes a step back and waits for abuse to hit!!* :D

I always think of this retro question rather like onions that keep repeating on you. Either that or that film Memento.

And for some uncanny reason, this quote from a rather obscure film... "Look man, you can listen to Jimi but you can't hear him. There's a difference man. Just because you're listening to him doesn't mean you're hearing him."

Neil":3jrdar84 said:
I always think of this retro question rather like onions that keep repeating on you. Either that or that film Memento.

And for some uncanny reason, this quote from a rather obscure film... "Look man, you can listen to Jimi but you can't hear him. There's a difference man. Just because you're listening to him doesn't mean you're hearing him."

Right and I'm just thinking "Rage against the machine!"

Neil":1q0uu30k said:

Except, of course, that listening to Jimi is all about opening up; whereas assigning an arbitrary year to what is, after all, a 'vibe' is closing down.

Back