Anyone bought Ti bits from xacd??

makster

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
I've been looking at getting them to make me some 1" forks, and wondered if anyone else has bought stuff from them?

CAS has an XACD frame, quality is very tidy. Perhaps drop her a line for first hand details?

I've heard very little other than bad about xacd. Triton or burls seem to be better bets.

They were quite the rage some years ago with the fixed and touring Forum gatherers (and I THINK they made some of the On One Ti frames incl cyclo Xers - I had one of the three s/s versions of the latter) and I don't recall any significant problems.

However, "...and will make them to whatever measurements I request..." is crucial. YOU have to be absolutely certain that you and they have AGREED on the same numbers. All of them.

i've never been a fan of titanium forks, but having looked at the link above i wouldn't get those!! not just because they're pictured snapped but because it's quite a bit of money but not a stupid amount which suggests not the best quality, but also because it's not like you can just pop them back to the shop if there are any issues.

i would also suggest that you ride pretty hard so if you do buy them start checking them around 2 months after fitting before every ride ;)

All of their stuff I've seen from them after let say 2010 looks very well made
Thing is, you need to spec all sizes, wall thickness etc. etc.
Friend of mine had some frames built there and they look ace, but mind he's a 3D programmer and is able to design, spec. material and communicate all this extremely well.
If you want more input/help from the builder go EU/US
Segemented style Ti forks are not the best option anywhere though.

This custom 29er with fat tyre spacing on the stays and Ti carrier was build by XACD in 2012

futuristicoldman":2p1n3fib said:
http://www.pardo.net/bike/pic/fail-001/FAIL-121.html

I was thinking the same until I stumbled upon this article which put me right off the idea

:shock:
I'll be leaving those then!

Back