The *NOT BORING!* Hi-Fi faff chat and sales

Re: The Hi-Fi Chat and sales thread

grumpycommuter":23241jv1 said:
Didnt have a clue so just found the manual on line - http://www.sumikoaudio.net/project/manu ... manual.pdf and yes 16v. If by plug-top power supply you mean straight into the mains then yes again!! Took a photo of the underneath which ill pop on here tomorrow. It all looks ok, the mains cable going in is retained firmly and there is no loose feel as it enters the motors cover. Have just checked everything over again and it all looks and feels right yet nothing....

Thanks for the tip about the pick up. I did warn you of my genral ignorance of these things.

Hope I'm not insulting anyone's intelligence... but Project is basically a Rega, isn't it?

If you stored it with the platter off, the ball bearing that the spindle rests on may have fallen out. It's a stupid little thing but check it. Just to be sure.

dbmtb":qlbp3k2v said:
legrandefromage":qlbp3k2v said:
apache":qlbp3k2v said:
Decided to put my original Rega Planar 3 on eBay - see if I can raise the cash for that lovely Technics.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161001490092? ... 1586.l2649

Good sale. .

Blimey - looking at that Ebay sale I bet LGF is a bit gutted he sold me his RP3 for a poxy £79!

Not really. I know how much it cost me and I usually sell for far less than ebay anyway. Saves a lot on fees and faffing.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A lot of decks are basically the same. Rega, Project, Moth, NAD and many others. The arm is where the precision is. The plinths are generally a bit of chipboard or MDF, a cheap synchronous motor and a bearing unit - however, they all have their own mystical, magical properties that make them sound different, which is directly proportional to the amount of money spent.

Personally, IMHO, if a record deck is going to seriously attempt to get proper hifi sound from the very compromised carrier that is vinyl (and it's amazing it's as good as it is!), it needs to have properly designed suspension which totally isolates the motor from the platter bearing and arm base, and very heavy platter for speed stability, and as important further downstream, accurate very low noise, high headroom RIAA equalisation.

I also think that direct drive (even with its own set of problems) using a low noise motor is a good way to go, even if it does have the hifi 'experts' frothing at the mouth in indignation.

theproudhighway":3gx2e6vt said:
I'm looking for a sub £100 pair of bookshelf speakers. Anyone have any recommendations?

I'm liking the look of the Wharfedale Diamond 9.1. Any opinions on these?

just bought a se of ruark etudes for my old cyrus setup paid 150 and must say they are great.had b&w 601s before and glad i changed.they dont come up for sale often. but worth a look for the money think they retailed at 600 plus on release :)

Will have a set of Rogers LS6a for sale soon. SEAS metal tweeters in perfect condition.

Will be looking at around £180 posted.

Sames as google pic:

ls6aqa2.jpg

Specifications :
Frequency responses........................50hz to 20khz, +/- 2 dB (Measured at 2 metres)
Distortion........................................ ..2nd & 3rd Harmonic less than 3% @90dB S.P.L (65KHz~20KHz)
Impedance........................................8 ohms
Sensitivity at 1 metre.........................89 dB S.P.L (2.83V at inputs)
Programme power rating....................200 Watts
Dimensions(w x d x h).......................185 x 300 x 160 mm
Weight............................................ .11.5 lb.(5.5kg)

Don't know if this is of any use to anyone?

Pioneer tuner, think it is about 1998 with the proper logo!
Very slim.

I don't listen to the radio! £15 posted

Unless it's particularly rare or desirable, you'll struggle to get even postage for it. No-one seems to want analogue tuners anymore. (Though I'm watching a couple of FM4's on eBay)

Back