Dual pivot brakes hitting mudguard

SantaHul

Retro Guru
I've had my frame drilled to take a recessed bolt so I could fit dual pivot side pulls, but now the brakes are pressing against the mudguard. Any suggestions or can I only use single pivot brakes? All dual pivots that I look at seem to dip in the middle below the brake mount.

Here's a pic
WP_001040_zps39b8f6e0.jpg

I've had my frame drilled to take a recessed bolt :shock: :shock: Sounds like that could be a slight issue :LOL: :LOL:

I have solved this issue by carefully shaping a recess with a ball pein hammer in the top of the mudguard just sufficient for free movement

Use a small file to lengthen the hole in the mustard mount behind the caliper, and allow the mud guard to sit a mm or two lower. Looks like theres plenty of clearance for it.

GB fork mount is a bolt hanging off the brake bolt so sticking in a few washers would lower the mudguard. Unfortunately the photo is deceptive and there probably isn't any clearance to lower the guard but I'll give it a try.

Otherwise knocking a little recess into the metal also sounds a good idea.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

If you 'gently dent' the mudguard make a little sand bag that fits underneath the mudguard ( traffic cones often have one in "so you can see what I mean ;-)" usually the small ones) this supports the metal to control the deformation.

This is the amount the mudguard would need to drop for the brake to fit properly! Its not going to happen, not sure I can even put a dent that big in it.

WP_001047_zps9791092f.jpg

In answer to the other question, I drilled the forks because I wanted to have my choice of brakes rather than be forced to use one particular model.

Back