What is retro?

Chopper1192":1d3gjcgv said:
Moulton was doing suspension bikes in the 60's...

There is no such thing as a "highly" effective single pivot suspension design as it doesn't desperate transmission forces from the suspension in the way that floating or true four bar do. It's the cycling equivalent of leaf springs on cars.

There are some highly effective leaf sprung cars.

and from what a quick skitter around the internet tells me, many motorcyles are single pivot.

cce":351wi2n8 said:
amended for accuracy

The admin crew have explained why it's 1997 before. And ultimately, it's their call.

Forgive a newbie (with an August 1997 V braked FS bike) but could you briefly outline the of 97 cut-off criteria as defined for the site? I'm not criticising but am merely curious as my bike falls on the cusp of 'retro' but seems to have the characteristics your pear to be arguing about. :?:

The History Man":zx1biqxp said:
cce":zx1biqxp said:
amended for accuracy

The admin crew have explained why it's 1997 before. And ultimately, it's their call.

Forgive a newbie (with an August 1997 V braked FS bike) but could you briefly outline the of 97 cut-off criteria as defined for the site? I'm not criticising but am merely curious as my bike falls on the cusp of 'retro' but seems to have the characteristics your pear to be arguing about. :?:

It was an arbitrary date selected by the site owners as when the "feel" of mountain biking changed.

cce":stuopx4d said:
The History Man":stuopx4d said:
cce":stuopx4d said:
amended for accuracy

It was an arbitrary date selected by the site owners as when the "feel" of mountain biking changed.

So on that basis the 'specification' argument is invalid?
Presumably if you join the site and agree to abide by its rules etc the 'feel' factor of post 1997 come with the deal. On my part I'm pleased to have a retro bike regardless of the spec.

On the attractiveness of the site to younger browsers, my son (1:cool: thinks it is for middle aged men like me with too much time on their hands! (His sentiments not mine)

................. :?:

The History Man":1xu2wf6a said:
On the attractiveness of the site to younger browsers, my son (1:cool: thinks it is for middle aged men like me with too much time on their hands! (His sentiments not mine)

Yeah. that basically.

I'm probably at the younger end of the spectrum and I'm 30.

The History Man":2yopy7ou said:

................. :?:

How dare he! I am 45 and I don't even wear a watch! Got the mobile, innit!

Perhaps this is generational. I bought him an MTB to get him mobile at university and after a few weeks it got a puncture that remains after a term. He says he will look on YouTube to learn how to repair it rather than talk to someone/me. Maybe he'll join a retro game site in a few years and swap pictures of pre 2000 consoles and controllers. :facepalm:

trickylad":xxtf4zky said:
Note i ask this mainly as a theoretical question. A 14 year old spesh full susser must fall into this category but also because we have to face facts, NOS 739/952 is only getting rarer. Not far off it becoming pretty obsolete if you look at what people are willing to pay in recent eBay auctions.

On a more practical note, there is a danger that the next generation of 'retro' riders and appreciators might not see this as a site and community for them, ensuring a long a prosperous queue of hoodie/mug/beanie wanters for Jon and the hard working mods.
TL

I have mentioned this a couple of times before. . . eventually the people who associate with the time period will inevitably reduce in number.

Back