Why did everyone hate thatcher?

sylus":295yd0w8 said:
Like most politicians we hate them when they are not doing what we want and love them when they are doing what we want

There are by some, rose tinted glasses on when it comes to thatcher and the miners. Successive governments both tories and labour had bowed to the unions so much that it cost more to send men down the mines than they ever brought up, as a mining industry look around at the markets and you will see we never would have competed against most coal producers now let alone then. The ship yards were more victims of their overpricing and overseas cheaper building than thatcher.

I think when some claim those who do not have the same blinkered view that every thing was thatchers fault, they forget many of those who voted her in for 3 terms still had fresh in their memories the winter of discontent..much in the way we are unhappy with the way the tories are currently not great... but no one is foolish to forget 13 years of labour before it.

On the domestic front she gave people choices, what people did with those choices was more up to them than her..on the international front she raised us from a has been country into the key player punching well above our weight that we are today and that is something many of us still wish we had ..a politician who would put Britain first again

Some balanced, common sense opinion at last!
I'm no Thatcherite, in fact I'm not big on politics at all, but this is the most measured commentary I've seen in the last few days.

highlandsflyer":1bdrew41 said:
shovelon":1bdrew41 said:
Age 56.

Very interesting. Only 2 British Prime Ministers worth remembrance is Winston Churchill, and Margaret Thatcher.

Thatcher was a very commanding figure during the Falklands war, viewed with awe around the world.

Tough love anyone?

...and how many Presidents are worthy of remembrance?

Wrong bowl of cereal.
But to amuse you, in my lifetime only Reagan. But that is me, and I cried when he passed. Even though I am only a few miles from his resting place, I could not visit the viewing. I do visit his memorial at the Reagan library twice a year or so. I so remember the relationship he had with Thatcher.

I won't mention the ones I remember for how bad they were. And there too many. :evil:

highlandsflyer":2zds5uu1 said:
Ah, so we are talking about Prime Ministers during your life time as well?

Then Churchill is added as a token of the past?
Nope, I was 9 years old when he died. His death and funeral was big news in the U.S. Right along with body counts from Vietnam.

Fascinating life Churchill led. Probably got the spirit of adventure from his "American" mother. :mrgreen:

When you are having a good time it's easy to think it must be the present government and when you have a bad time it must be the present government.......blah blah, the fact is we are just figures and numbers to them wether useful ones or part of the problem.

Saying you support one party or the other and trying to pretend 'your party is best' is just small minded crap in my opinion..........not one party ever has or ever will be 'good' for everyone. It's always about winners and losers, that's how capitalism works. We can't all have wealth, that would not work.

I don't celebrate any death in history apart from people like hitler, idi armene etc.........thatcher was just a strong talking leader with slightly more unsavory policies than some...........too much fuss is being made of her, she doesn't deserve it or a state funeral, a respectful one yes, but that is all.

The party in Trafalgar Square looks like a load of people standing around wondering what to do. In the rain. http://www.camscape.com/view/459

The police presence has increased a fair bit in the past half hour or so, but they're mostly standing around wondering what to do too.

greenstiles":3fkrgad0 said:
When you are having a good time it's easy to think it must be the present government and when you have a bad time it must be the present government.......blah blah, the fact is we are just figures and numbers to them wether useful ones or part of the problem.

Saying you support one party or the other and trying to pretend 'your party is best' is just small minded crap in my opinion..........not one party ever has or ever will be 'good' for everyone. It's always about winners and losers, that's how capitalism works. We can't all have wealth, that would not work.

I don't celebrate any death in history apart from people like hitler, idi armene etc.........thatcher was just a strong talking leader with slightly more unsavory policies than some...........too much fuss is being made of her, she doesn't deserve it or a state funeral, a respectful one yes, but that is all.

Most grown ups stop blaming other people for their misfortune, but you can reasonably generalise that a political party might not be acting in the best interest of your family, industry or area, etc.

This whole idea that we are just numbers plays to the Orwellian doom mongers. Politicians are just human beings. The MPs in the commons and the knobs in the Lords are a small number, we have all our local councils and MEPS, etc. as well, there is a chance to get involved at grass roots level anywhere you live.

Besides, we are all politically active at some level, even if that is decrying politics as pointless. Those who choose to get behind a party they believe in are no more small minded than anyone else who might sit on their sofas writing the whole thing off.

You don't need to think your party is the best at all, nor do you need to be naive enough to think your party's policy would be the best for all. You can change your party by getting involved, and if you choose to have nothing to do with politics you can sit and shout about how they are all this or that and nothing to do with you. Big deal.

Whether or not we can all be 'wealthy' or not is one thing, but we can all have a good quality of life within the society we have here in the UK, using a mix of systems rather than Capitalism alone. Like most states.

''You don't need to think your party is the best ''...........but so many do !.....it's like religion for a lot of people and it divides people in the same way...because it's a 'small minded' way to be.....''our belief is so right, you are so wrong'' British politics is an utter farce ....it is a show to cover up what really goes on behind the veil of tv and newspapers....have a bit of banter, play with words....people are asleep with sugar and weeked beer in this country........

Many I know are involved in politics at some level, I would not rank many of them amongst the small minded. I do, however, know a number of people who decry everything outside their house in which they spend hour upon hour reading about conspiracy theories and idolising David Icke as they descend inch upon inch into a grave of ignorance.

Back