SOLD Raleigh Special Products Randonneur. Reynolds 708.

doctor-bond

Feature Bike
SOLD A late Raleigh Randonneur frameset. Made by the Raleigh Special Products division in the 1990s it's arguably (by me) the ultimate classic tourer. Why? Heat treated Reynolds 708 tubing; lovely Gerald O'Donovan detailing; classic styling; utterly practical; great ride.

Rand 002 by Petrelbooks, on Flickr

brsp0003.jpg

The 708 frames were available as Randonneur bikes, or as Gran tour framesets.. See the discussion on this thread where I got my info from:

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=168777&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

reynolds708.jpg

reynolds708pt2.jpg

With an H frame number, this one is probably 1998. Here's some more of the details which make it so sweet. It's got the spoke holders on the left hand chainstay (southpaw spoke holders for heat treated frames: more common 531 on the right).

Rand 006 by Petrelbooks, on Flickr

It's got a single sided mudguard 'pip' instead of a chainstay bridge:

Rand 005 by Petrelbooks, on Flickr

It's got the signature oversize seatstay caps typical of RSP work.

Rand 003 by Petrelbooks, on Flickr

Tasty pointed lugs, with a full complement of rack/guard/pump mounts and cantilever brakes: tyre clearance is generous allowing sensible tyre and mudguard choices.

Rand 012 by Petrelbooks, on Flickr

Rand 007 by Petrelbooks, on Flickr

Rand 008 by Petrelbooks, on Flickr

Rand 009 by Petrelbooks, on Flickr

Rand 001 by Petrelbooks, on Flickr

Condition. As you can see, it's been refinished in powdercoat. This is a nice colour but not a good job with runs and sags and some scuffs. The frame really ought to be redone in enamel to show off the details better. There is a small dent where a front mech has been over tightened. I've tried to show it in the penultimate photo but I cant get it to show up on camera. I've just put the heron badge loosley in place - not fixed.

Sizing: Seat tube is 23" C-C. TT 23" C-C. Head tube is a shade over 17cm. Rear OLN is 135mm. Seat post is 27.2mm. 1" headset with a hardly used Stronglight A9 headset included.

Price. Not really for for the bargain hunters, I'm looking for £130 plus shipping which is likely to be around £15 in the UK. Will send it worldwide at cost.

I had this built up as a do-it all bike and it did it all with aplomb. As a result, I've got some touring components that a prospective purchaser may be inteested in, and that could be added to the box for shipping (e.g rack, mudguards, etc). PM for more details. Ask any queations you like: doing this in a hurry, so I'm bound to have missed some spec info.

Reply to this thread if you are interested, PM and Paypal or bank transfer to secure.

Thanks for looking.

:cool:

Re: Raleigh Special Products Randonneur frameset. Reynolds 7

Nice bike. I have no interest in buying, but i did enjoy reading up on the reynolds stuff. Good post.

Great ad. Nice frame, very versatile and an ultimate tourer.

I like the colour would look good with cream tyres tan tape and brooks. Shame it doesn't have raleigh & Reynolds graphics.

IMHO that's a good price for such a good frame.

doctor-bond":2zsn3d1s said:
Not really for for the bargain hunters

Looks like a lot of bike for the money to me!
Not my sort of bike at all (even if your advert makes me think I want it) but I bet this is someone's bike-heaven. Love the spoke holder!

Lovely bike - shame it's too big for me!

^ same as above. really nice frame. i would snap this up if it was a inch or so smaller.

That is a wonderful frame - I could build something very cool with about $1500 worth of Velo Orange parts. What would it cost to ship something like that to Canada?

Back